Conservation of Pokies.

Placeboani2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I do Animal Conservation science at University, and i have an assignment titled 'Case study on the conservation of a named endangered species'

So basically pick any species/closely related group and talk about its conservation.

So as my interests are spiders and tarantulas, i had to make it difficult for myself and instead of picking something really easy like a panda, i've chosen the Poecilotheria family..
According to the red list, the Poecilotheria family is the only family that is vulnerable to critically endangered. These are P.formosa, hanumavilasumica, metallica, miranda, rufilata and striata.

The only sort of protection they have is they happen to live in nature reserves, one that is only found in a ruined religious temple that is protected because of their religion. They are also in the Indian wildlife protection act and listed under Cities appendix II.

Im wondering if anyone else is interested in the conservation of tarantulas, mainly the Poecilotheria family, And knows anything that i don't about the conservation status etc.

[edit]
On the P.formosa page on the red list it says this "Forests in these areas are of dry deciduous type with few patches of moist forests. No information is available on this species from the wild in last hundred years except for information on trade."

No information in the last hundred years?!

I need to hurry up finish uni and get my butt stuck into doing work on this species!
I really dislike the fact no work has been done on tarantulas or spiders, theres nothing out there about them!

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

haha just re-read them they get more and more rediculous!.. The P.formosa..

"Population information is not available. Although reported from three localities these reports are nearly a hundred years old. The locations are severely fragmented. No surveys have been conducted in these areas to establish the status, but considering the species to be closely related to other Poecilotheria species, their behaviours and ecology, we assume that the species has declined due to loss of habitat and degradation in quality of habitat in the Eastern Ghats."

They haven't got a clue about them, they just assume they are the same as the others..?

missscarlett

Arachnopeon
Pokie conservation

Placeboani2- it is so encouraging to hear that you are interested in Pokie conservation! I have recently begun investigating avenues of participation for the conservation of this disappearing wild genus! As hobbyists, we must remenber that we can be part of the problem (as has too often been the true or imagined case) or part of the solution to vanishing wild colonies of these spiders. The BTS article recommended by "syndicate' was an eye-opener, and should be read by every member of this forum! We can lead the way on initiating wild Theraphosid conservation or react to regulations imposed by other because of actions taken by some unscrupelous collectors. Let's act wisely! If anyone has info on who to contact regarding the Tiger Spider Sanctuary and it's possible future, it would be great to know! We can't always control such destructive influences as climate-change, or habitat destruction, but we can try to ensure we are encouraging sustainable, ethical, and LEGAL management of wild colonies.

Placeboani2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The BTS tried to help protect Poecilotheria in the wild and create a Poecilotheria sanctuary.Unfortunately It did not pan out to well.
This article may be of use to you!
http://www.thebts.co.uk/poecilotheria.htm
-Chris
I have read this article and it did come to some sort of use! Although it does point out that this is one of the only things to talk about in terms of their conservation apart from them being listed under cities.. Im glad i chose this subject as it made me realise something i want to do in the near future. but on an assignment scale im 479 words in and stuck on what else to write! Im going to have to re word a few sentences again to make it up to 1500 words! haha. Unfortunately i cant talk about my view on the subject and complain for the rest of it!. Thanks for your help!

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Placeboani2- it is so encouraging to hear that you are interested in Pokie conservation! I have recently begun investigating avenues of participation for the conservation of this disappearing wild genus! As hobbyists, we must remenber that we can be part of the problem (as has too often been the true or imagined case) or part of the solution to vanishing wild colonies of these spiders. The BTS article recommended by "syndicate' was an eye-opener, and should be read by every member of this forum! We can lead the way on initiating wild Theraphosid conservation or react to regulations imposed by other because of actions taken by some unscrupelous collectors. Let's act wisely! If anyone has info on who to contact regarding the Tiger Spider Sanctuary and it's possible future, it would be great to know! We can't always control such destructive influences as climate-change, or habitat destruction, but we can try to ensure we are encouraging sustainable, ethical, and LEGAL management of wild colonies.
I agree! Id also love to go and visit the tiger spider sanctuary to see what is happening there and how effective it actually is, Id also love to talk to locals and see what there opinions are about them. Also as a plus the raveneshwaram temple looks like a lovely place to visit, especially with the chances of seeing some pokies!