Congratulations Gil!

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Longtime Arachnoboards denizen Gil Wizen @wizentrop has won not one, but TWO category awards in this year's Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition!

Gil's photo "Spinning the cradle" won the invertebrate behaviour category

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 4.56.48 PM.png

And "The spider room" won the urban wildlife category.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 5.00.16 PM.png

These screenshots are from the award ceremony, which you can watch on youtube

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Gil is a smart scientist and helpful too. I’m glad he won, not surprised!

You can see his work on CNNs home page today!

Last edited:

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Is this a tiny room or an exceptionally large spider? 😱

either way, both photos are great! Congrats!
The spider is under the bed! And the art is the way the space appears to be a room with a giant spider on the wall!

At least that is my interpretation. :D

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
The spider is under the bed! And the art is the way the space appears to be a room with a giant spider on the wall!

Oh good. I was about to say, I think that sucker gives the Theraphosa a run for their money 🤣

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince

It really is a beautifully composed photo. I knew the story and still did a double-take when I saw it!

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Many people admitted that as they were scrolling on their phone, their brain tricked them when my photo came up, interpreting it as a huge spider in an empty room. So they had to pause and think. I like that this photo triggers critical thinking, and even more so, I like that it is a conversation starter. It feels like everyone is discussing it right now, at least in my vicinity. Good.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Many people admitted that as they were scrolling on their phone, their brain tricked them when my photo came up, interpreting it as a huge spider in an empty room. So they had to pause and think. I like that this photo triggers critical thinking, and even more so, I like that it is a conversation starter. It feels like everyone is discussing it right now, at least in my vicinity. Good.
It’s an amazing shot! It definitely threw all my logical thinking skills out the window 😂

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I can’t help but imagine that I’m in that space, a cavernous hall, with a Phoneutria twice my size looking down on me! :eek:

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
I can’t help but imagine that I’m in that space, a cavernous hall, with a Phoneutria twice my size looking down on me! :eek:
I think most people on this forum would enjoy that, even if it's the final moment of their life

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It's interesting how people have such different view points and mental references. The moment I saw that photo I knew it was a typical bed, a built in sort of affair, very common in much of the world but very rare where people nearly always buy bed frames.
And I suppose I'm used to seeing large spiders on walls. "Well hello there, Please stay in this room where the cats aren't allowed." I'd certainly have a different attitude if I was in a country where phoneutria roam instead of our usual Huntsmen.