Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Confusion in a pet store.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Elleken, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    Advertisement
    Yea I just get frustrated I guess. I would never yell at the employees and actually gave them some information about them when I was in there. I suppose to reduce any chance of a verbal conflict I tend to just keep quiet. Next time I go in and check em out again I am going to be feeling quite obligated to say something. In a polite way of course.

2. gumby

gumby Arachnoprince Old Timer

I think the biggest issue ive seen with peet stores is that they keep all their Ts the same. one out in Ut near my house sells A. avicularia, G. rosea, and H. lividum. they keep them all in the same 2.5 gallen tank with a light on top and try to handle and feed them all the same way. they keep telling me to watch out for the blue one its mean. I tell them Id bite them if they kept me that way.

3. pavel

pavel Arachnobaron

MI
    Preuss's? Man I haven't been there in ages! (Too far now for a quick trip) Years back they had a very sweet pdf tank!

4. GootySapphire

GootySapphire Arachnolord Old Timer

You really should just stop while you're not even ahead. Most pet stores if someone commented on their care quality would say "yeah sure, I will try that." then make fun of the person later..human nature. Most pet stores SHOULD know what kind of animals they carry, the pet store I worked for would work its hardest in finding out anyway possible what animals we had, the proper care for them etc. etc. granted it was a family owned business so smaller than a Petco building, but it still has its size and employees who cared, not just about money...most people who work in pet stores love animals and care about them. People aren't just complaining online to be d*cks as you would most likely put it... we are complaining that they should do THEIR JOB as an assistant manager to a store I dont get paid to NOT run shifts, or not know the info on the things I sell. Its a business and my job and i should know everything about what I am selling.

5. Trouser

Trouser Arachnopeon

I worked in a pet shop for some years and we always welcomed polite advice and we always did our best to research and know all we could about our stock. making blanket statements about an entire industry hurts the hobby we all enjoy. the public exposure for inverts was i think the most effective way of encouraging people to get interested in the T world.

6. gambite

gambite Arachnoprince Old Timer

MD
    I am not sure I completely understand your point. Mine was (and maybe I could have been clearer in expressing it) basically that I think there is too much labeling and insulting going on, and that a polite approach is better than the hostile, angry, or derogatory one that seems to be promoted on the forums here when it comes to trying to 'educate' store employees. I have read and heard too many stories of people getting into heated arguments with store managers over animal care and of some people even getting banned from the respective stores. I think this kind of behavior is unacceptable in most any situation, and should not be promoted and bragged about.

Its indisputable that pet stores and their employees should know their ****. Like you said, it is a business and that is their responsibility. But as can be seen simply by the massive amount of these topics, it is obvious that this is not always the case. And when it is not, you of course have every right to complain (and should, as I previously said). I do not think most people are complaining just to be ****s, I simply feel that people should try not to come off as ****s when complaining. In the end, it has nothing to do with pets or pet stores; it is just social etiquette.

Also, it should not need to be mentioned that if you dont like the store, you should take your business elsewhere. Why support people that you do not like?

Overall, though, I think you are taking a very pessimistic stance on this, while I think mine is more optimistic (and maybe apologetic). However, I think maybe we are ultimately saying the same thing, just filtered through our views and experiences on the matter. (Feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong, though)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.