Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Confusion in a pet store.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Elleken, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    Advertisement
    I went around to some of the pet stores in my surrounding area looking for some good new t's. I noticed a cage that was labeled "green skeleton tarantula". It was sold for fifty something bucks and there were none left. Any ideas on what it could have been? I eventually settled on a juvenile A. avic. The woman there even had the nerve to tell me to not keep all my t's together as if she knew better than me(and trust me I know not to). After keeping them in a container way too small with that reptile carpeting stuff and a sponge. Oh how I hate pet stores.

2. J.huff23

J.huff23 Arachnoking Old Timer

The common name of "skeleton tarantula" makes me think of the ephebopus genus.

But if its in a pet stores then who knows...I have a feeling that they just slap their own common name on the tank to make it sound more appealing.

3. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    Yea in the same store I saw rosies being sold as a striped knee. This happened when I bought my rosie in a completely different store. I think someone is lying to these stores.

4. J.huff23

They always say "Thats what the dealer we get them off of tells us it is"...........must be a sucky dealer.

5. jr47

jr47 Arachnobaron Old Timer

The Asian fawn I purchased a few months back was labeled brown spider. Was a bit frustrating trying to decide if I wanted it or not. They had another a few weeks ago called a black spider.
    I am no expert but I feel if your going to sell them at least put a little effort into knowing what it is your selling.

6. J.huff23

They dont care. As long as they get their precious money. They dont care about the animals they sell or the conditions that they keep them in.

7. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    Yea its disgusting really. I hate the lack of care they put into their animals. The t's I've bought always seem to bounce back to good health which makes me smile.

8. EightLeggedFrea

EightLeggedFrea Arachnoangel

9. my LPS sells pinktoes (at least they have that right). i asked if they were avicularia avicularia and the poor high school girls they have working don't have a clue! in fact, a couple of them are even deathly afraid of Ts!

they also have colonies of crickets living with the Ts and improper housing conditions. smithi living on soaking substrate, and avics bone dry!! they had a big 6 or so inch rosie living in a tiny CC and a 2.5 inch smithi in about a 20 gallon aquarium. idiots... :wall:

ignorance may be bliss to some, but it's hell for the Ts!

oh, and this is the same PS that feeds their 7 or so ft python a large live rabbit once a week. the poor thing is covered with scratches and bite marks, but since the guy who owns the place is a nurse, he knows animals...?? :confused:

10. kc7wdg

kc7wdg Arachnosquire

Not all pet stores are bad so please don't generalize like that. There are good ones who treat the animals right and actually have scientific names on the T's as well as common names. Granted they may be few and far between but dont say all are bad.

11. Probably an "emerald Skeleton Tarantula". Not sure what the scientific name is. I thinks its in the Ephebopus family.

And not all pet stores are bad. I have two local pet stores that are awesome. ALL of the animals are well cared for. Suprisingly, one of them is a corporate chain. Go figure? So dont knock em all.

12. JayzunBoget

JayzunBoget Arachnobaron Old Timer

If the green skeleton tarantula was properly identified then it is Ephebopus uatuman. While it is related to the True Skeleton Tarantula (Ephebopus murinus) it has more in common, in looks, size and behavior with the Blue Fanged Skeleton Tarantula (Ephebopus cyanognathus).
    Interestingly enough, some members of Ephebopus can throw urticating hairs right off of their pedipalps!
    And as for pet stores not caring or being well informed, there are several members of AB who have indirectly (as a loyal customer) or directly (my employees) put their heart and soul into making Preuss Pets a well stocked, well cared for place where people can come to get a staggering variety of healthy Ts and the support to care for them properly, in supplies, a variety of feeders, and education.
    I'm sure the same can be said for a number of other LPS's that have employees for whom this is a dedicated hobby/ obsessive addiction.
    I've seen many of the horror stories that so many of you have seen, too, but don't forget about the good ones!!

13. cagey

cagey Arachnopeon

I bought my T from a pet store, however, they had an employee there who LOVED Ts. When I bought Sofia, he was able to tell me her personality and such because he had handled her so much (she is SO laid back for an a. avic. I call her a Stoner Avic., because she is SO laid back. Random note: Do we all think our Ts are special?? Because DUDE. My T is totally special. More special than yours. I know it! I swear! But, In a good way!)

Will I buy my next T from a pet store? Probably not. The guy who worked there is now gone and went to work for our ZOO. Besides, I want a different variety of avicularia. Since we go there for our weekly Cricket Run, I cannot help but check out their Ts and make sure they are okay. For one visit, one of the red-kneeds was on bark. BARK. That last trip, I swore I was going to buy the damned guy and figure out how to explain it to my husband later.

Oh. Help me. My husband???? Said "we should get a tarantula" because our son liked spiders. My husband???? Had no clue what sort of person her married.

*gulp*

14. damn straight. but unfortunately it only takes one moron to spoil the whole lot for LPS's. im just glad we have a good team right now that A: knows their stuff and B: isnt afraid to learn above and beyond what is necessary even if that means stepping aside and asking someone with more knowledge (aka YOU). becuz the day i send a T home with someone without knowing what it is or how to take care of it is the day i dont need to work for Preuss Pets :?

15. Zoltan

Zoltan Cult Leader

Ephebopus genus, Theraphosidae family. ;-)
    All species in the Ephebopus genus can throw urticating hairs off of their pedipalps. The presence of those hairs differs them from all other theraphosid genera!

As for "green skeleton tarantula", I've never heard that one before. I've heard Ephebopus uatuman referred to as "emerald skeleton", and obviously E. cyanognathus is "blue fang" - it would be silly to call it "green skeleton". Yet another failure of common names.

16. GootySapphire

GootySapphire Arachnolord Old Timer

You will see a billion pet stores with mislabeled tarantulas...I used to work for a local pet store and what happens is a lot of the vendors pet stores buy from use the common names when shipping them or when sending order sheets and basing things off of common names is a bad bad idea, Ephebopus Murinus is what I am going to guess is what is being sold in your local pet store. Good choice in the A. Avic next time get a Minatrix or a Versicolor :drool:

17. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    Yea it's my second avic. I love how they look for some reason. And the fact that they are so spaztic and fast is always fun. Never had one shoot poo at me but the new one i got jumped from the container I bought it in to my sleeve and bit down on it. I don't blame her being cramped in a tiny little box.

18. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    I need to stop going to pet stores I always feel bad and end up buying one to help it out.

19. Elleken

Elleken Arachnoknight

CNY
    Yea, sorry for generalizing just it seems in all the pet stores I've been in in new york are completely uneducated. I guess the hobby isn't as big here as in other states. Kind of makes sense in a colder climate though I suppose. Sorry for generalizing I would love to check your store out some time.

20. gambite

gambite Arachnoprince Old Timer

MD
    I understand where a lot of you guys are coming from about pet stores being ill-informed about their stock, especially tarantulas, but you have to look at the bigger picture. Not all of the employees in a store are going to be experts on every single animal they carry. And not all of the store owners are in it just because they love animals (everyone wants $$$). And relatively, you guys are a minority of their customer base, meaning that the average person would not know any more than the store workers do.

If you really want to make a difference, then I would say to mention (politely!) that you think the store is not taking care of its stock well, and maybe donate to them a copy of The Tarantula Keeper's guide or some similar book that contains good information. Also, you could even mention that you would be more willing to buy from them if they changed their care practices. While it may feel nice to you to stroke your ego online about how stupid they are, and yell at the store workers about their idiocy, being a polite, concerned customer will most likely cause bring about more of a change than being an ******* about it would.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.