Confused w my tarantula liking to be held?

nanitrudeau

Arachnopeon
I have two tarantulas: curly hair(m) named Mochi and a stripped knee Costa Rican(F) named Charlotte. I’ve had them both for two years. Charlotte barley eats anymore and has had a bald spot on her but for the longest time. They have a 20 gallon tank both and it’s filled a lot with dirt, leaves, and two hides each. Charlotte always comes out and sits at the glass until I pick her up and just lay with her on my chest as I’m on my phone. As soon as I take her off of me she try’s to climb back onto me all the time. I know they don’t like being handled but she’s constantly wanting me to handle her at least that’s how I interpret it. Whenever I put her back in her cage she try’s to climb out of it for me to pick her up again(so cute). She is also NEVER in the stress pose. On the other hand mochi likes to explore the tank but he never lets me hold him and so I dont. I just want to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong. Mochi has molted 4-5 times since I’ve had him and Charlotte none.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I know they don’t like being handled
It is not that they do like or do not like, it’s rather, they DO NOT need to be handled.

but she’s constantly wanting me to handle her at least that’s how I interpret it.
Trust me, that is one misinterpretation there.

Whenever I put her back in her cage she try’s to climb out of it for me to pick her up again(so cute).
Again, you got it totally wrong.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I have two tarantulas: curly hair(m) named Mochi and a stripped knee Costa Rican(F) named Charlotte. I’ve had them both for two years. Charlotte barley eats anymore and has had a bald spot on her but for the longest time. They have a 20 gallon tank both and it’s filled a lot with dirt, leaves, and two hides each. Charlotte always comes out and sits at the glass until I pick her up and just lay with her on my chest as I’m on my phone. As soon as I take her off of me she try’s to climb back onto me all the time. I know they don’t like being handled but she’s constantly wanting me to handle her at least that’s how I interpret it. Whenever I put her back in her cage she try’s to climb out of it for me to pick her up again(so cute). She is also NEVER in the stress pose. On the other hand mochi likes to explore the tank but he never lets me hold him and so I dont. I just want to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong. Mochi has molted 4-5 times since I’ve had him and Charlotte none.
You could ask yourself how Charlotte's bald patch came about.
Also, as others have said, she's not happy with enclosure conditions.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
let me suggest an alternate explanation for the behaviour:
its more likely to become active if you disturb it with opening the cage and then once you picked it up it detects that something is wrong and stays put in order to not fall

it is probably wrong too but if you do do a little more reading on tarantulas, including anatomy, you will realise that your idea of "like and dislike" doesn't apply to tarantulas
you are lucky it hasn't got stressed or spooked so much it ran off you and fell yet, but it could happen at any time

tarantulas are visual pets, somewhat like fish, look but don't touch

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
First off, 20 gallon is WAY too large for an adult tarantula. I would say that's even too big for some of the largest species even like Theraposa. Tarantulas do not enjoy being handled, at most they tolerate it. I highly recommend NOT handling your tarantula bc it can be dangerous and/or stressful, and does nothing but put your T in harm's way. There is most likely something wrong with your setup that is causing your T to be stressed and have a bald spot. Do yourself, and your Ts a favor, and DON'T HANDLE THEM.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Some good life advice - don't assume you are / have an acception to the norm.

If its doesn’t seem right then 99.9999% of the time it isn't.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It’s is probably scared and frozen being taken out and handled by a giant perceived predator. You may like it, but I can almost assure you that it does not. And it’s developed that bald patch by getting back to its enclosure and kicking setae to defend its self against being abducted out of its enclosure again.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
your idea of "like and dislike" doesn't apply to tarantulas
This. Always always always this. From what we understand of tarantula anatomy (and arthropods in general), they lack the consciousness to feel pleasure or pain in the emotional sense. Their "feelings" are physical instinct, either something is a threat to the current state of being, or it's a benefit to it, and the reaction to a threat/benefit is completely dependent on each specimen. What makes some specimens freeze when threatened and others kick hairs? This rides the line in the great debate of what level of consciousness tarantulas actually possess, but for the sake of your tarantula, assume that your spider is acting out of a sense of self-preservation.

If given the choice between the substrate she's on and you, she's choosing you, assume that it's a reflection on her enclosure, not a want to physically be on you. Let's say for argument's sake that she actually prefers the texture of your shirts or the heat that your body is giving off: It's in her best interest for you to make adjustments to her enclosure that will mimic those features, like a different substrate and a higher temperature, rather than continue what you're doing now, which can/will result in a fall or injury that would have been avoided if she were just in her enclosure. Maybe play around with her environment a little bit (make the adjustments that have already been recommended here), and see if that behavior changes.

As always, just my opinion. Good luck with your t's!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Please don't handle. It puts them at risk of death for no good reason. Like tropical fish, these are 'enjoy watching them' pets.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
The behavior is misinterpreted. I can share three different pics and my perception is incorrect.

Perception: Fist bump me for attention
Reality: Sensing its surroundings
51487BB9-AAF1-4E6C-B908-E447EF660075.jpeg

Perception: I want to be held
Reality: Scared during rehouse and fleeing
ACA2C75F-5F9A-4567-A046-CCDD01B05BD5.jpeg

Perception: Kiss my rear, I don’t like you
Reality: T just sitting there
234AAF39-B6E3-48D3-BBF9-9337D588D3B1.jpeg

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Please familiarize yourself with the term 'anthropomorphize' and its definition. Once you understand the implications of this human tendency and can actively adjust for it, then you'll be able to provide even better husbandry to the animals in your care.