Confused but not worried

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
So my 1 inch m Balfouri has sealed off its burrow for over a month close to two. I’m not at all concerned I’m just kinda confused. After it molted it only ate once and then said bye. So is this just the t journey.

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
Yes, it is the T journey. That's normal behavior. Slings are more prone to hiding bc they are most vulnerable when they are small. In fact a lot of Ts are called "pet holes" for a reason. It may spend more time in the open as it grows and feels less vulnerable, or it may not. Depends on the specimen, species, etc.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Well what I mean is it hasn’t wanted food for around 2 months and this was right after a molt. I’m fine with it staying in its burrow. I’m just a little confused when this species seals itself for almost 2 months right after a molt.

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
Well what I mean is it hasn’t wanted food for around 2 months and this was right after a molt. I’m fine with it staying in its burrow. I’m just a little confused when this species seals itself for almost 2 months right after a molt.
There isn't really a clear explanation for this, it probably just isn't hungry. That's not unheard of, a lot of tarantulas do this. It will come out when it's ready to.
After it molted it only ate once and then said bye.
It won't starve itself. Ts will sometimes fast for months at a time. Nothing out of the ordinary

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Perhaps you gave it quite a large meal and it was very plump before the molt and not that skinny afterwards so it was plump after one meal. Slings do not really take much food at all to prepare for a molt and can fill up extremely fast!

it’s not so much a worry, when and if it does want more food before molting you will know. Keep water dish full regardless.

perhaps the enclosure is a little big and it feels insecure.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
T's can shift behaviours with each instar

A lot of people complain how they never see their M.balfouri, while mine is always out for example.
So maybe yours decided it's time for the burrowing phase!
Just the beauty of African fossorials

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
to be fair I gave it it’s fair share of substrate. I gave it about 3-4 inches to burrow. I used a 32 oz deli container. Keep it dry. Webbed over the water dish. Perhaps the cold temperatures made it slow down their metabolism.
ABB7B8E9-B066-44CB-9962-D4C692E914AF.jpeg

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
just place an all the way dead prekilled feeder by one of its burrow entrances and remove the next day if uneaten. thats what i did with my balfouri i didnt really see it out until it got close to 3 inches