Confused about premolts...

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Hi,

I checked how an LP sling looks like and it looks just like mine... A spotted furry looking abdomen. But he's/she's been refusing my offers for the past few weeks... Is my T currently on premolt?
IMG_0102.JPG

Thank you,
Ken

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
It might well be in premolt, yes. The first indication is always the refusal of food. They molt days, weeks and sometimes even months later. That mostly depends on the size of the spider. You should soon see the abdomen darkening which will be followed by a molt. Keep it well hydrated in these times and all will be well.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
The abdomen is fairly dark, I'd say it's in early premolt. Taking into account this species fast growth speed, I'd guess a molt is coming within the next 3 weeks.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hi,

I checked how an LP sling looks like and it looks just like mine... A spotted furry looking abdomen. But he's/she's been refusing my offers for the past few weeks... Is my T currently on premolt?
View attachment 236947

Thank you,
Ken
Doesn't look like it's in heavy pre molt, it's nice and plump so don't worry about feeding for now. Your substrate looks on the dry side, moisten a portion of the sub for the little guy, they need a decent amount of moisture as slings, especially if he's nearing a molt.

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Doesn't look like it's in heavy pre molt, it's nice and plump so don't worry about feeding for now. Your substrate looks on the dry side, moisten a portion of the sub for the little guy, they need a decent amount of moisture as slings, especially if he's nearing a molt.
Okay, I'll do that. Thank you.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
LP's are voracious eaters, so if it's not eating, it's probably in premolt. It looks nice and healthy, if you are really worried about starving it you could give it prekilled prey (on the offchance it goes into a molt you don't want to have any live prey in there to stress or potentially kill your little buddy. Just make sure you provide it with clean water and remove prey items every 24 hours if you choose to continue offering them.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
If it makes you feel better, my G. Rosea ( admittedly an adult) hasn't eaten in 10 months and is still nice and plump :) although fasting is common with that species. Just to show you how not eating for a few weeks is nothing worrysome :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The dark spot on it's abdomen is a sign it's in premolt. You'll see the spot cover most of the abdomen when it's ready to molt. This can be quick on smaller slings that molt faster. It's nice and plump. I'd wait a week and try prekilled. Then repeat till it eats or molts.

I keep a water dish and moist sub for my slings so they don't dry out.

Shamrock

Arachnolover
My LP just molted from looking like yours. She went a month without food prior. Now she is just legs, long fluffy legs. She is almost triple her pervious legspan!

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
If it makes you feel better, my G. Rosea ( admittedly an adult) hasn't eaten in 10 months and is still nice and plump :) although fasting is common with that species. Just to show you how not eating for a few weeks is nothing worrysome :)
By the way, that's crazy...10 months?!?!?! How big is the T? Maybe prekilled may get the feed?>.<

Last edited:

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
Completely variable lol, could molt in like a week, who knows? I just gave an over estimate so I wouldn't be wrong. :D
I feed them Tuesdays and Fridays, I'll try next Friday... Hopefully you're right...o_O Lol would be nice if it molts tonight but..it's a tarantula, who knows when it will actually molt..-.- Thanks for the info:happy:

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
IMO, as long as the abdomen is bigger than the carapace,there's no need to worry anout starvation.

Come to think of it,that might only be applicable to juvies and adults tho,as i have yet to see a sling with larger carapace than its abdomen.haha

Haemus

Arachnosquire
If the over/under for the molt is 3 weeks, I'd bet on the under :)