Confused about my avicularia avicularia ):

ErikaMichele75

Arachnopeon
Good morning ☀ ... I've posted several times here about my 1 & only avicularia avicularia.. I am really confused with her about the last month.. I'm pretty sure she's in pre-molt bc she has not ate in about a month... I've offered her food every week just to see & she doesn't want it at all! She backs away or holds her legs up towards it like "nope" lol I guess the thing that really has me confused is she hasn't made no hammock or anything like that at all... She has been in her same home with nothing different since February of this year! She hasn't been much of a webber anyways BUT all the reading and pictures I've read and looked at and I still do bc I want to make sure I do things right! She is thee only tarantula I own and I live in Cincinnati Ohio so it is getting cold here BUT I have her in my bedroom closet on top I even wrapped her home up with cloth lol NOT the top where air comes in... My BIG question is will she hide herself off and molt? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to do anything to make her better? She stayed on the front of her enclosure for a few weeks BUT now she has herself in her back corner where she's put webbing on the side of the glass... Just hanging sideways... I put a picture and I'm truly hoping someone will let me know something to make me be at ease some! I greatly appreciate any feed back! Thanks 👍

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’m not really sure what your concern is, could you provide something more concise?

I’m not sure what you’re concern is.

Ts molt in their own time

ErikaMichele75

Arachnopeon
Wondering if this is normal for avicularia avicularia? Does she look ok? Will she make a cacoon? Web herself away to molt?

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
Wondering if this is normal for avicularia avicularia? Does she look ok? Will she make a cacoon? Web herself away to molt?
Most t’s no matter what the species will start to act strangely leading to a molt. She looks perfectly fine to me, she’s probably more worried about you being worried. Everything you explained just sounds like an avic that’s about ready to molt

Your momma

Arachnopeon
If there is anything I have learned it is that Avic. Avic. will do there own thing. Let her get comfortable. Are you using an arboreal enclosure? She won’t cocoon but she will eventually get around to molting. But is she a male? Update this when you can

ErikaMichele75

Arachnopeon
Yes I'm using a arboreal enclosure.. No it's not a male.. So if she doesn't cocoon then how will she molt? From her side maybe? I just worry and I'm hoping & praying she has a safe wonderful molt! I read Sooooo much that I think alot is in my head.. Like I wonder if this is ok or I wonder if that's ok?! Lol Thanks for replying 😊

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
If I were you I'd provide some fake leaf clutter (like plastic plants that you can purchase at the pet store for reptiles) so that there are extra anchor points for webbing. This might encourage her to web more.

Jaromysfuneral

Arachnopeon
it all depends on the t but as long as she has water and moist substrate she should be ok. In my experience the older they get especially females the longer it will take for them to molt. My juvie will take 1.5 months in premolt right now and I have another t in pre molt for the better part of a year (A. Chalcodes) I would expect anywhere from 1/6 months is normal for avics. Keep offering food once per week, I do have a few t’s that will go off food, then eat one more time a week before they molt.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Behavior sounds normal, hard to tell if the enclosure is good from the photos though. If you’ve researched adult A. avic enclosures and modeled it after such than you should be fine.

ErikaMichele75

Arachnopeon
If I were you I'd provide some fake leaf clutter (like plastic plants that you can purchase at the pet store for reptiles) so that there are extra anchor points for webbing. This might encourage her to web more.
On the other half of the enclosure I have some fake plants.. I have thought of that also.. But here's another question lol Should I put anything in there while she's in pre-molt or wait?

On the other half of the enclosure I have some fake plants.. I have thought of that also.. But here's another question lol Should I put anything in there while she's in pre-molt or wait?
it all depends on the t but as long as she has water and moist substrate she should be ok. In my experience the older they get especially females the longer it will take for them to molt. My juvie will take 1.5 months in premolt right now and I have another t in pre molt for the better part of a year (A. Chalcodes) I would expect anywhere from 1/6 months is normal for avics. Keep offering food once per week, I do have a few t’s that will go off food, then eat one more time a week before they molt.
Thank you 😊

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Some avics will not be heavy webbers, so no concern there; most of mine begin to web as they enter the premolt phase and often more closer to the molt which could be weeks or over a month. Just continue to provide a water bowl and no need to keep the sub moist. Not eating for a month or more should not be a concern, it most likely has all that it needs and conserving energy for the molt.

With Exo Terra enclosures the system relies on the air coming in from the front vent and out the top. By covering the lower portion of the enclosure where the front air vent is you’re limiting airflow. It is getting air at the top from the mesh lid (which has its own drawbacks in terms of safer for the T).

If it’s that cold where you’re at If suggest a space heater. I use a small vortex heater during winters which works out well and keeps the room at an even temp.

ErikaMichele75

Arachnopeon
Some avics will not be heavy webbers, so no concern there; most of mine begin to web as they enter the premolt phase and often more closer to the molt which could be weeks or over a month. Just continue to provide a water bowl and no need to keep the sub moist. Not eating for a month or more should not be a concern, it most likely has all that it needs and conserving energy for the molt.

With Exo Terra enclosures the system relies on the air coming in from the front vent and out the top. By covering the lower portion of the enclosure where the front air vent is you’re limiting airflow. It is getting air at the top from the mesh lid (which has its own drawbacks in terms of safer for the T).

If it’s that cold where you’re at If suggest a space heater. I use a small vortex heater during winters which works out well and keeps the room at an even temp.
Ahhhhhh... Ok yes! I've thought of getting a space heater as well for this fall & definitely the winter. I do want to get her a different enclosure BUT I was waiting for her to molt lol I'm aware of how it is with having the exxo terra and how it does work with arboreal T's that's why I was getting a lil worried for her ): She's never really hung out the way she's been doing for the last month or so... On the right side she has like webbed the glass & she would stay alot there or on the back bye a piece of flat wood I have in there for her.. I would be soooooo hurt & sad if her molt didn't go right for her! Thank you for taking the time to reply to me 😊 I added a few pics to.show her off a bit lol

Attachments

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Ahhhhhh... Ok yes! I've thought of getting a space heater as well for this fall & definitely the winter. I do want to get her a different enclosure BUT I was waiting for her to molt lol I'm aware of how it is with having the exxo terra and how it does work with arboreal T's that's why I was getting a lil worried for her ): She's never really hung out the way she's been doing for the last month or so... On the right side she has like webbed the glass & she would stay alot there or on the back bye a piece of flat wood I have in there for her.. I would be soooooo hurt & sad if her molt didn't go right for her! Thank you for taking the time to reply to me 😊 I added a few pics to.show her off a bit lol
There are peeps that use the Exo Terras with no problems. If you do keep it maybe think about replacing the mesh with plexiglass and drill holes in it. Places like Home Depot sell it and cut it. Other specialized places would be Tap Plastics. But yeah, wouldn’t do anything until after it molts.

Everything you mentioned sounds like normal premolt behavior and it’ll do its thing when it’s ready. If anything, you could do a light mist on leafs higher up a Couple times a week if you’re concerned it won’t go down to the water bowl.

My young A Avic M6 was doing the same things yours is for roughly 45 days. Out of all my avics the M6 has been the slowest to get things done.

ErikaMichele75

Arachnopeon
There are peeps that use the Exo Terras with no problems. If you do keep it maybe think about replacing the mesh with plexiglass and drill holes in it. Places like Home Depot sell it and cut it. Other specialized places would be Tap Plastics. But yeah, wouldn’t do anything until after it molts.

Everything you mentioned sounds like normal premolt behavior and it’ll do its thing when it’s ready. If anything, you could do a light mist on leafs higher up a Couple times a week if you’re concerned it won’t go down to the water bowl.

My young A Avic M6 was doing the same things yours is for roughly 45 days. Out of all my avics the M6 has been the slowest to get things done.
Thank you ... I'll give the plants a slight mist or so! I'm feeling alot better about her... Patients is a virtue lol 😊

I just gave her home a slight mist bc I got to thinking I just gave her fresh water Thursday bc it was my day off and it to me kinda looked to be about the same amount... And OMGOSH she started drinking the water off everywhere ... I was like 😳 that makes me feel ALOT better! But wish she would eat 😔 She's looking skinny ... She use to eat at least 2-3 times a week... I only fed her 1 cricket each feeding tho.. She was always happy with what I have her... Thee only time she turned food down when I offered was right before this which was about 1 month ago..

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
I've offered her food every week just to see & she doesn't want it at all! She backs away or holds her legs up towards it like "nope
When a plump t starts refusing food,, its pretty pointless to keep offering. Plump ts don't require food.

I guess the thing that really has me confused is she hasn't made no hammock or anything like that at all...
They don't always web until just before molting, but it is important to give them the proper tools to do so...your set up isn't ideal IMO.

I live in Cincinnati Ohio so it is getting cold here BUT I have her in my bedroom closet on top I even wrapped her home up with cloth lol NOT the top where air comes in
Ohhhh, that's doing nothing.

Wrapping works for mammals, as it helps retain heat, with a t, there's nothing to retain, the cloth and the tank and the t will all be the same room temp.

Avics are a species that doesn't do well with extended cool temps. I suggest keeping a min temp of 70f....night temps can drop a little.

Am I doing something wrong?
Hard to say as the entire enclosure isn't visible.....we only see a small section, it actually makes it look like a faunaruim even though its not.

But I don't like the wood, and see no plants, which there should be an abundance of.

So if she doesn't cocoon then how will she molt? From her side maybe? I just worry and I'm hoping & praying she has a safe wonderful molt! I read Sooooo much that I think a lot is in my head.. Like I wonder if this is ok or I wonder if that's ok?! Lol Thanks for replying 😊
Avics always web a spot to molt prior...always. Its not something you should be worrying about as they will do this to some degree in even the most impossible conditions.

it all depends on the t but as long as she has water and moist substrate she should be ok.
Water good...moist substrate bad for Avics.

Always keep Avics on the dry side, substrate should always be predominantly dry.

I would expect anywhere from 1/6 months is normal for avic
Well this depends on too many factors to say "normal for an avic"

Smaller the t, shorter the process...colder temps, longer the process, and most important is the feeding schedule, as those fed heavily will plump much faster, and will therefore be in pre molt longer. I could have 12 A. avics (and I do) and each one could be different from the others inn terms of molt cycle and how long they fast prior to molting..

Even then, there's wide variation in individual growth with some growing fast and others growing much slower than average (these will naturally have longer pre molt fasts).

Keep offering food once per week,
I don't bother...if there's one thing a plump doesn't need, its food.

That said, offering isn't going to harm anything either, so its not necessarily wrong too do so if you like.

Avics, as they live at elevated positions and molt in protective web tubes, are that one group of ts where its actually just fine to leave feeders roam the bottom.

On the other half of the enclosure I have some fake plants..
Ahh, big thing here.

Avics need wood, preferably wood they can stretch out on and not twigs or small round things....they also need plants, and lots of them. But these 2 items don't work alone and should never stand alone. They work together, so the plants should be completely surrounding the tops of the wood. This gives the avic the proper tools to create with their webbing....it also encourages faster webbing responses and more elaborate web tunnels.

If it’s that cold where you’re at If suggest a space heater
Ding ding! We have a winner!

She's looking skinny
No, she's not.:)

ErikaMichele75

Arachnopeon
When a plump t starts refusing food,, its pretty pointless to keep offering. Plump ts don't require food.

They don't always web until just before molting, but it is important to give them the proper tools to do so...your set up isn't ideal IMO.

Ohhhh, that's doing nothing.

Wrapping works for mammals, as it helps retain heat, with a t, there's nothing to retain, the cloth and the tank and the t will all be the same room temp.

Avics are a species that doesn't do well with extended cool temps. I suggest keeping a min temp of 70f....night temps can drop a little.

Hard to say as the entire enclosure isn't visible.....we only see a small section, it actually makes it look like a faunaruim even though its not.

But I don't like the wood, and see no plants, which there should be an abundance of.

Avics always web a spot to molt prior...always. Its not something you should be worrying about as they will do this to some degree in even the most impossible conditions.

Water good...moist substrate bad for Avics.

Always keep Avics on the dry side, substrate should always be predominantly dry.

Well this depends on too many factors to say "normal for an avic"

Smaller the t, shorter the process...colder temps, longer the process, and most important is the feeding schedule, as those fed heavily will plump much faster, and will therefore be in pre molt longer. I could have 12 A. avics (and I do) and each one could be different from the others inn terms of molt cycle and how long they fast prior to molting..

Even then, there's wide variation in individual growth with some growing fast and others growing much slower than average (these will naturally have longer pre molt fasts).

I don't bother...if there's one thing a plump doesn't need, its food.

That said, offering isn't going to harm anything either, so its not necessarily wrong too do so if you like.

Avics, as they live at elevated positions and molt in protective web tubes, are that one group of ts where its actually just fine to leave feeders roam the bottom.

Ahh, big thing here.

Avics need wood, preferably wood they can stretch out on and not twigs or small round things....they also need plants, and lots of them. But these 2 items don't work alone and should never stand alone. They work together, so the plants should be completely surrounding the tops of the wood. This gives the avic the proper tools to create with their webbing....it also encourages faster webbing responses and more elaborate web tunnels.

Ding ding! We have a winner!

No, she's not.:)
Thank you for kindly replying ... This is my only T & I've had her since February of this year... Was concerned, still going to be lol I do know I'm going to have to just wait & give it time & do what I need to do for her as with water etc... And hopefully I will see her beautiful new clothes soon! 😊

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks- looks fine- they web up for molting

Start using cork bark instead, esp tubes and flats. Also involve more plants, they need cover to feel secure.

Thank you ... I'll give the plants a slight mist or so! I'm feeling alot better about her... Patients is a virtue lol 😊

I just gave her home a slight mist bc I got to thinking I just gave her fresh water Thursday bc it was my day off and it to me kinda looked to be about the same amount... And OMGOSH she started drinking the water off everywhere ... I was like 😳 that makes me feel ALOT better! But wish she would eat 😔 She's looking skinny ... She use to eat at least 2-3 times a week... I only fed her 1 cricket each feeding tho.. She was always happy with what I have her... Thee only time she turned food down when I offered was right before this which was about 1 month ago..
I feed all my Avics whatever quantity they will eat. My versi eat 2-3 at a singe time, my geroldi 1-4 depending on where she is for molting.

Last edited: