Confused about behavior

Chouinard

Arachnopeon
I have a 1.75-2" B. Albo who molted about two weeks ago. With the molt came a tremendous change in "personality"... he now stays outside his burrow, he is constantly walking all over, and is very aggressive with prey. (For reference I have him in a round container that is 5" diameter by 3" height and he eats 2 times a week).

The issue I have is that he is now SO active he is constantly moving substrate into his water dish and it then absorbs the water out of the dish. Every day I am having to take it out and clean it up. This is not a problem as much as it's just annoying.

Is my T trying to tell me he needs a bigger enclosure, or new substrate (there is no mold, mites, or leftover food bits)?

DeanK

Arachnosquire
Sounds like it's just being a T. My albo does the same thing. It's a little bigger so I think it was just remodeling it's burrow to accommodate itself

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Some T´s do nasty stuff with their water dishes. That´s just how it is. It´s also normal for a T to "change" its behaviour after a moult. As long as it has sufficient space, I wouldn´t worry about the enclosure or the substrate or whatever. Your T is not trying to tell you something, they lack the cognitive powers to communicate anything or even to recognise you.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I have a Grammostola sp. Maule that use to fill her water dish constantly . I agree it was very irritating . Then one day she just stopped doing it . Who knows why ?

louise f

Arachnoangel
he is constantly moving substrate into his water dish and it then absorbs the water out of the dish. Every day I am having to take it out and clean it up. This is not a problem as much as it's just annoying.
I remember @Poec54 said in another thread, that they move the sub in the dish because they dont want to fall down in a hole. ( or something like that ) Please correct me if I`m wrong :)

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Here's a theory . Albos come from a dry region where free standing water would be a rarity . Therefore those water sources would be attractive to a variety of animals , many that would find a big fat juicy T to be a tasty treat . So a water source located right outside the entrance to a burrow or a hide would be instinctively considered a bad bad thing . Since Ts get most of the moisture they need from the prey items that they eat they would see a water source as unimportant . So , fill in the water source and predators will have to move on to find the water that they must have . That would also apply to my sp. Maule since she also comes from an arid region . Either that or I have just had too much coffee today and my mind is in overdrive .

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I tried to get a filled in dish away from a C. darlingi sling before I left for work today, but I lost that battle :D. I'll wait until it's in its burrow.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I tried to get a filled in dish away from a C. darlingi sling before I left for work today, but I lost that battle :D. I'll wait until it's in its burrow.
Also a T that is from a dry region . The proof of my theory is starting to add up .

Haemus

Arachnosquire
One of my G. pulchripes likes to completely bury them in sub. Barricaded her hide from the outside too for some reason. Sometimes I think I should re-open it for her, but I figure she can do it herself.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
One of my G. pulchripes likes to completely bury them in sub. Barricaded her hide from the outside too for some reason. Sometimes I think I should re-open it for her, but I figure she can do it herself.
Definitely don't reopen the hide. When they close it off it's usually a sign of premolt. When the T is ready it will unblock the burrow and come out

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Definitely don't reopen the hide. When they close it off it's usually a sign of premolt. When the T is ready it will unblock the burrow and come out
It's barricaded from the outside, she's not in there. I'm hoping for a molt though.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
It's barricaded from the outside, she's not in there. I'm hoping for a molt though.
My chalcodes does that all the time!! Then she gets all confused and bulldozes seemingly randomly so I open it for her then she buries it again and over and over again...:rofl:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I woke up the other day to find my Xenesthis sp. "Blue" female filled her water dish and covered her wet area completely with dry substrate. They like redecoration sometimes...

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
My husbands G. pulchripes blocked out the opening to her coconut hide when we first had her, but she had a tunnel dug that led into it. She used to be much more active, but I kind of like her laziness now.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
@BobBarley "Bulldozes randomly" is exactly what she does lol. My male is the complete opposite, and his dish is spotless. Maybe the comedy I'm playing in the background is too vulgar...or not vulgar enough

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
One of my juvenile females has never burrowed or done any redecorating and the other does this...

_DSC6840-2.jpg

She also has a huge, gaping, hole in the left corner beyond this photo with two tunnels running off it.
Both are female, both are kept in exactly the same conditions, and both are almost the exact same size (age).
They're all unique individuals.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
One of my juvenile females has never burrowed or done any redecorating and the other does this...

View attachment 217103

She also has a huge, gaping, hole in the left corner beyond this photo with two tunnels running off it.
Both are female, both are kept in exactly the same conditions, and both are almost the exact same size (age).
looks like she's proud of her work lol. Beautiful shot as always :)

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron

View attachment 217103

Great photo!