confused about all these T's

matt19

Arachnopeon
i'm new to the spider scene and i am looking for a good first T. I want something slightly more interesting than the chilean rose :-/ ... however i do want a placid spider that can be handled occasionally and preferably a terrestrial spider because i think a slower moving one would be a better pet for me to begin with.

Any suggestions please??? im confused :(

P.S. sorry but im not well up on the latin names yet... im trying to learn but heres so many...

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You can't go wrong with the Brachypelma genus. Specifically I would recommend Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee). These are known to be quite docile (usually). As well this species is the species that most often are shown in TV shows an movies. They are beautiful.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
The other great first spider that is usually mentioned is the Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) - - gets to be about 8.5", very docile, and nice looking: overall black with bright yellow knees. Mine is only about 1" right now, but I look forward to seeing it grow up.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Mister Matt, Welcome to the addiction!

I will tell you one thing... You will get people responding with two different species; Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee) and the Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee). I will tell you right now, you cannot go wrong with either! I have both in my collection and love them dearly!

Joe - CAK

ChloeUk

Arachnopeon
hello, i just joined and saw ur post, i only got my first T two days ago, and he (or she) is a Mexican red knee and only just over an inch i recon, joined so if i get worried i can ask some questions!
verdicts still out with me on how easy these ones are to care for but been told they are one of the best, i feel the fun part would be watching him grow n get his little red knees ^^

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Mexican Red knee and Chaco Golden knee are both excellent +1 on that. You might also try Brazillian black (Grammostola Pulchra) or some of the Avics. welcome to addiction!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In my opinion, Brachypelma species are not good starter species for people who want to handle them, unless they enjoy the itch, burn, and swelling caused by urticating hairs.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree wit Joe on this one,.....and Brachys can also be a tad skittish at times,....with short bursts of speed, they can be intimidating to a new keeper, who might not be ready for them;)

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dunno if I agree really. My first T was a B. smithi and I have had no problems with it. Go to a pet shop and ask if you may handle one if they have any to see how you react to the hairs. My little vagans flicks hair all over me and I had no reaction to it. They can definitely be speedy, but if you aren't the nervous type you should be ok. The A. geniculata used to be very popular, and are beautiful! Mine tends to run away when I want to handle it, but once she's out she's docile. Did you want to get a sling, or something bigger to start?

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

I will tell you one thing... You will get people responding with two different species; Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee) and the Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee). I will tell you right now, you cannot go wrong with either! I have both in my collection and love them dearly!

Joe - CAK
Ditto 100 % - in fact, these were my first 2 Ts and I got them, and by extension, into this hobby, because I saw, and held, both species at a bug fair - beautiful, and infinitely patient with the ooh-ing and ahh-ing crowd. I was captivated! I knew nothing of urticating hairs at that point, and they weren't an issue. Now that I have both species, itchiness is not an issue with them either. But each human reacts differently to different spiders, so I've learned (I can handle pulchras, pulchripeses, smithis, and GBBs with no problem - not so with A. geniculatas!). My advice, if you want a handleable variety, is find somebody somewhere that has one and will let you hold it, then see how you react.

While I'm at it, may I add as a suggestion the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, or Green Bottle Blue, or GBB - beautiful, active, high-intensity webbing, handleable tarantula.

web eviction

Arachnolord
I would think A. Versicolor would be a good beginner being they very rarely bite and are beautiful bright colors

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dunno if I agree really. My first T was a B. smithi and I have had no problems with it. Go to a pet shop and ask if you may handle one if they have any to see how you react to the hairs. My little vagans flicks hair all over me and I had no reaction to it.
Ditto 100 % on that too! (Great T-keeper minds think alike - and in this case, simultaneously! :D)

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Another that I think is a fantastic beginner species is Eupalaestrus campestratus, also known as "pink zebra beauty". They are docile, easy to care for, and easy on the eyes. I have Grammostola pulchripes, which is great also. She's always out in the open for me to see and easy to deal with. My Brachypelma Smithi is skittish, but only 2" so I'm hoping as she gets older she will calm down a bit. Brachypelma albopilosum, or "curly hair" would also be a good beginner in my opinion.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll second the vote for Eupalaestrus campestratus! Perfectly docile, and the most tolerant handling spider you could ask for. They don't flick hair, except under extreme duress.

You might also consider Aphonopelma moderatum, the various Avicularia spp. and some of the Brachypelmas like B. vagans, and B. albopilosum. Grammostolas like the "Chaco Goldenkneed" ( formerly G. aureostriata...don't remember what it's been renamed as ), and G. pulchra are fantastic starter tarantulas.

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Joe - CAK

Although this is true. Does he want to take the chance of getting hairs in his skin and so on from the smithi?? They wont bite you but will kick hairs ive noticed.

PhilthyPino

Arachnopeon

Joe - CAK
Couldn't agree more! We have one of each, and both are so chilled. The Red-Knee can be known to flick hairs tho. I don't know if that's just mine tho....

Just read the message above, so it's not just mine eh?

Hrothgar

Arachnopeon
Nhandu chromatus works fine for me - much more placid than the Curly Hair or Chilean Rose. I also have no problems with Lasiodoras - big and gentle.