"Confirmed Female" JUST KIDDING

Morgan95

Arachnopeon
A few months ago, I recieved my first tarantula as a birthday gift after researching for weeks on end about the inverts themselves as well as the hobby. I was gifted with a beautiful A. Chalcodes from an exotic pet store here in DSM. This T was sold to me as a "confirmed female" that was brought in from an owner that has had it since it was a sling. I was BEYOND happy with this adult T. It was perfect and it also spurred me into 3 more Ts within a month or so. For being so new in the hobby, I can say that I know quite a bit from endless reading and research... so obviously when "she" molted today into a leggy black spider with tibial hooks.. I knew I had a freshly matured male. A very sad day for me indeed. In conclusion, I'm here to ask how long I can expect to have my first T, that started this fire in my soul, around.. I know males expire following their ultimate molt and obviously I'm destraught about it. Any advice or information is appreciated. I'm gonna be sad to see this one go. :(

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Why would she get him?

Unless the species is heavily prone to cannibalization like GBB, it can be easily avoided.

Just make sure if you do plan on breeding make sure you know the locale of the spider e.g new river, Flagstaff, etc.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He's probably got 6 months to a year. Maybe up to 2 years if he's one of the outliers.

Morgan95

Arachnopeon
Like I said, not experienced in the breeding aspect of the hobby lol. Honestly I'll probably try to find an experienced breeder to do this for me if anything. I appreciate the info!

Morgan95

Arachnopeon
He's probably got 6 months to a year. Maybe up to 2 years if he's one of the outliers.
Hopefully he is one of the outliers because he is absolutely stunning. Thank you for the reply, much appreciated!

boina

Lady of the mites
I've heard this statement so often...

Well, ALL my mature males that I didn't send off for breeding for some reason lived beyond one year after their last molt:

L. difficilis: 16 month
Hapalopus sp.: 16 month and still going strong
P. cancerides: 10 month and still going very strong (I'd be VERY surprised if he died during the next two months)
I know that is a small sample, but it is strange that they are all supposed to be "outliers"

The OP's tarantula is an A. chalcodes, too, one of the long live species. I think the males are known to live longer, too. I'd think it is likely for him to make it to the two year mark.

sasker

Arachnoprince
OP, I know what the disappointment feels like when you discover your tarantula is a male. It happened to me as well when my first T - an 4" 'unsexed' (yeah right!) B. emilia - turned out to be a male. But trust me on this: it will get easier over time.

My advice: buy lots of spiders. You will also experience the sweet satisfaction when you inspect a fresh molt and it turns out to be a female! :D

Morgan95

Arachnopeon
I'm also in DSM. Was it aqualand Pets Plus?
Edited: I'd rather not say lol. But with pet stores like that with animsls brought in... I can't expect them to check a molt or try to ventrally sex the spider.

Last edited:

Morgan95

Arachnopeon
I've heard this statement so often...

Well, ALL my mature males that I didn't send off for breeding for some reason lived beyond one year after their last molt:

L. difficilis: 16 month
Hapalopus sp.: 16 month and still going strong
P. cancerides: 10 month and still going very strong (I'd be VERY surprised if he died during the next two months)
I know that is a small sample, but it is strange that they are all supposed to be "outliers"

The OP's tarantula is an A. chalcodes, too, one of the long live species. I think the males are known to live longer, too. I'd think it is likely for him to make it to the two year mark.
This gives me some comfort lol. I'm just attached because he sparked this all. I appreciate the encouragement. I'm sure I will learn to not have a mini melt down with the males more as I become more experienced! @sasker - thank you, as well. The encouragement is appreciated more than you know. Many think starting this hobby is a cake walk, but for the ones of us who become suddenly attached to all living things.. it's a little overwhelming at first lol! I have 2 little slings that I'm hopeful about.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Sorry man. But I wouldn't be too upset about it because Aphonopelma is the slowest aging genus bar none. Your boy might last several more years.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Well, to contribute towards some hope, my second T also turned out to be a mature male, and I think it's about 4 years since he matured, might be 5 soon? I've honestly stopped paying attention to his age expecting him to go any day, and yet here he is still eating and still roaming. He's a resilient little B albo, still keeping on with his sperm webs too.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Yeah, when just starting out, the thought of possibly hundreds of little babies you'd have to worry about and try to take care of would be way too much. I would see if anyone on the boards needs a mature male and see if you can't work some kind of trade or temporary loan or something out. Maybe you could get a few of his babies! That is sad though, we're hoping our sling is female... Which is also too bad, there's really nothing wrong with males other than the fact that they don't live nearly as long :angelic:

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
That's the reason I'm weary of buying adult Ts. I don't want to buy one and only have him for a short period.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
That's the reason I'm weary of buying adult Ts. I don't want to buy one and only have him for a short period.
My wife and I just got a sling recently, they actually really aren't that bad to take care of. Ours just molt yesterday, and it's exciting to watch them grow! If you really want a female you can just buy a 2-3 slings and one of them is bound to be female. Slings are usually cheaper anyway :happy:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
He may live longer then your anticipating, it's not uncommon for a male to live upwards of a year after its final molt. I have several males that are over a year, in age since they matured. The oldest is an L.parahybana male he is 14 months old and still eats regularly, he's active and making sperm webs. I haven't bred him either and he isn't going crazy yet ;)

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Post a picture of him. I'm looking for a male for my girl, we might be able to do something.