"Confirmed Female" JUST KIDDING

cold blood

Staff member
Edited: I'd rather not say lol. But with pet stores like that with animsls brought in... I can't expect them to check a molt or try to ventrally sex the spider.
Why not? You should expect them to verify anything sold as a confirmed female...its just sad and irrisponsible that so few stores do.
Post a picture of him. I'm looking for a male for my girl, we might be able to do something.
nice...definitely contact this dude...hes a great guy that will give you a fair trade or value. if you need help on shipping, just ask and we can provide a tutorial...its a whole lot easier than most anticipate.

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
Sadly something I've found to be true through some breeders (not on here) and pet stores is that they will label a confirmed male unsexed or even sometimes a 'confirmed female' to get more money out of them since people always want the females. But there's also the possibility that the owners just didn't know what they were talking about (that happens a lot too). My A. Chalcodes lived a total of 3 years with me but this was before I was really in the hobby so I'm not really sure when he matured but I got him when he was already pretty big (no longer a sling).

cold blood

Staff member
Sadly something I've found to be true through some breeders (not on here) and pet stores is that they will label a confirmed male unsexed or even sometimes a 'confirmed female' to get more money out of them since people always want the females. But there's also the possibility that the owners just didn't know what they were talking about (that happens a lot too). My A. Chalcodes lived a total of 3 years with me but this was before I was really in the hobby so I'm not really sure when he matured but I got him when he was already pretty big (no longer a sling).
it happens...my first G. pulchripes was a pet store confirmed female that was an mm within a year...but i took that lemon and made some really great lemonade...lol...bred him (loaned) and got 162 babies after the split. While it might appear i got hosed on the initial purchase, in the end I actually won big time because i didnt just sit on the male and feel bad about it.

Morgan95

Arachnopeon
it happens...my first G. pulchripes was a pet store confirmed female that was an mm within a year...but i took that lemon and made some really great lemonade...lol...bred him (loaned) and got 162 babies after the split. While it might appear i got hosed on the initial purchase, in the end I actually won big time because i didnt just sit on the male and feel bad about it.
I hope to get a few babies out of him. That's initially why I made this post
Hm... interesting looking spider. @cold blood, care to weigh in? The abdomen doesn't look quite right to me for a chalcodes... or an Aphonopelma for that matter.
Oh how lovely.. my profile picture was this same spider 2 weeks before this molt. He's got red hairs on the abdomen. I can post pictures of the molt as well of you'd like to see them.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
It does indeed happen too often and you can count me in on the club. My first T when getting back into the hobby (I had barely been in to begin with) was a gift from a family member who paid big bucks for a confirmed female B smithi at a pet shop. Of course it eventually hooked out and I traded him for a juvie gbb. The person I traded him to was successful and says he'll give me a good deal on a few offspring. I wasn't ready to breed at the time and wasn't ready to handle a loan or 100+ slings so it turned out for the best!

Edit: I forgot to mention, the pet shop went under. I can't imagine why. :)

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Aphonopelma arent my strong suite...most look similarly dark though.

@AphonopelmaTX would certainly be of more help than me.
With the picture of the male before the maturing molt in @Morgan95 's avatar, I'm reasonably certain that the species is in fact Aphonopelma chalcodes. The males of the species, as I'm sure many already know, look just like the male's of the Aphonopelma hentzi complex (A. hentzi, A. armada, A. anax). I agree the abdomen looks "off" as @EulersK mentioned though. A review of all of the pictures of the male you can see that it had a bad molt which makes it look that way. The left side leg 4 in the pictures makes this clear as the metatarsus and tarsus are deformed and has a pink/ light red coloration.

Don't take these comments as a definitive ID though. Knowing that the spider came from a pet store with no locality data, I'm not going to say it is definitely Aphonopelma chalcodes. Aphonopelma is one of many genera in which I would never breed in captivity without knowing where it came from and/or having a molt to examine for the species defining characters.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
And I'm glad it happened, because I wouldn't have my sweetheart Regina without him <3
Regina\'s father.jpg
RIP Dad

Morgan95

Arachnopeon
With the picture of the male before the maturing molt in @Morgan95 's avatar, I'm reasonably certain that the species is in fact Aphonopelma chalcodes. The males of the species, as I'm sure many already know, look just like the male's of the Aphonopelma hentzi complex (A. hentzi, A. armada, A. anax). I agree the abdomen looks "off" as @EulersK mentioned though. A review of all of the pictures of the male you can see that it had a bad molt which makes it look that way. The left side leg 4 in the pictures makes this clear as the metatarsus and tarsus are deformed and has a pink/ light red coloration.

Don't take these comments as a definitive ID though. Knowing that the spider came from a pet store with no locality data, I'm not going to say it is definitely Aphonopelma chalcodes. Aphonopelma is one of many genera in which I would never breed in captivity without knowing where it came from and/or having a molt to examine for the species defining characters.
I appreciate the information as well as the clarification. His legs do look a little bit off, I was wondering about that. Hopefully he can live out the rest of his life comfortably. I have the molt to examine and I will look into what the defining characteristics are. Thank you very much. I am new to all of this so I try to soak in as much information as I can!

cold blood

Staff member
I appreciate the information as well as the clarification. His legs do look a little bit off, I was wondering about that. Hopefully he can live out the rest of his life comfortably. I have the molt to examine and I will look into what the defining characteristics are. Thank you very much. I am new to all of this so I try to soak in as much information as I can!
a few bad legs are pretty inconsequential.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ever wonder what happened to this male?

IMG_2139.JPG

Thankfully, she wasn't too upset that I attempted to pair with her in heavy premolt. Of course I had absolutely no idea she was in premolt. She slowly walked out in response to his tapping, and he gingerly tapped on her front legs. She was kind enough to just turn around and mosey back into her hide. Two days later, she molted. So now we just wait for her to heal and fatten up before trying this again. He's a strong male with an obsession for making sperm webs, so I have no doubt that he'll get the job done.

The good news is that I was able to confirm his species as A. chalcodes. I sedated him in the fridge and got a good look at his tibial hooks and pedipalps. A cross-reference with a paper comparing Aphonopelma species allowed me to say for certain he is indeed an A. chalcodes. Obviously though, I've got no idea on locality.
@Morgan95

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
@EulersK What a nice-looking pair! Hope the second pairing attempt goes well! Keep us posted :D

Side question: Is it just the picture or are they the same size? The one time I tried (unsuccessfully) to pair my female, she was much larger than the guy. Admittedly, I haven't seen too many other MMs to be able to make a fair comparison.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Success! @Morgan95, your little dude was a champ. He made it out alive, too. Now to feed her endlessly and play the waiting game.

@tetracerus Apologies that I never responded to your question, I'm not sure how I missed that. They are about the same size in leg span - if anything, he is slightly larger only because of his legs. But make no mistake that she's much heavier. Her abdomen, carapace, and even legs are much thicker. Aphonopelma males are usually fairly large in leg span, but very "leggy" so they look bigger than they are.