Condensation?

Raven 13

Arachnopeon
For those using the 16oz deli cups, do you ever have an issue with condensation forming on the inside? If so, is it a problem for your tarantulas, and how do you combat that?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you're fighting condensation, you probably have two issues: too much moisture and too little ventilation. So if you're running into that, I'd suggest fixing one (or both) if those issues. Even slings don't really need it that humid, and in fact the stuffy air may lead to death.

Raven 13

Arachnopeon
I'm hoping it was a ventilation issue. I've since added more holes, and widened the ones I had.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
If you're fighting condensation, you probably have two issues: too much moisture and too little ventilation. So if you're running into that, I'd suggest fixing one (or both) if those issues. Even slings don't really need it that humid, and in fact the stuffy air may lead to death.
Include temperature in that list too. When the inside of an enclosure is warmer than the outside, condensation will form. Happens to all of my tarantulas during the winter. The only exception are for the ones with extremely dry substrate which means I need to add water. I don't keep anything that dry all the time. A bit of condensation on the inside of an enclosure doesn't hurt anything. Unless of course it looks like the spider just got done taking a long hot shower. Then there is a problem. Most of the time, condensation forms at the bottom where the substrate is the most compacted.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Include temperature in that list too. When the inside of an enclosure is warmer than the outside, condensation will form. Happens to all of my tarantulas during the winter. The only exception are for the ones with extremely dry substrate which means I need to add water. I don't keep anything that dry all the time. A bit of condensation on the inside of an enclosure doesn't hurt anything. Unless of course it looks like the spider just got done taking a long hot shower. Then there is a problem. Most of the time, condensation forms at the bottom where the substrate is the most compacted.
See, now this is not something that I knew could happen. I've never lived in an environment that would allow for all those conditions. Thanks for the info.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
This is how the Brittish sort it

.. but yeah, few more holes dont hurt. Hope you resolve it okay. Mould can be a bsttrd

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
See, now this is not something that I knew could happen. I've never lived in an environment that would allow for all those conditions. Thanks for the info.
Next you are going to tell us you didn't know it snowed in other cities :wacky::wacky::clown::clown::robot::robot::alien:alien