Condensation Issues Slings

slayerofgoliath86

Arachnopeon
Hi folks

got my 4 slings yesterday and today noticed some condensation on a few of enclosures I am panacking will this cause problems.

same substrate is in all 4 containers and yet some of them don’t seem to be as bad as others

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Condensation = not enough airflow in most cases. What kind of slings did you get again? May not be an issue, but then again it might be depending on the species.

cold blood

Staff member
Hi folks

got my 4 slings yesterday and today noticed some condensation on a few of enclosures I am panacking will this cause problems.

same substrate is in all 4 containers and yet some of them don’t seem to be as bad as others
ok Dexter, the first thing I will suggest is pics of the housing, as the housing could be the issue....otherwise as said, more ventilation and/or less water.....to know which we would need to again, see the set up.....generally speaking, slings dont need all that much ventilation, but if there is too much moisture, this could pose a problem.

This can also occur with a temp drop, like say they were fine last night, and this morning the house got colder, well that would trigger condensation to form....in such cases, the condensation is much less of an issue.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ok Dexter, the first thing I will suggest is pics of the housing, as the housing could be the issue....otherwise as said, more ventilation and/or less water.....to know which we would need to again, see the set up.....generally speaking, slings dont need all that much ventilation, but if there is too much moisture, this could pose a problem.

This can also occur with a temp drop, like say they were fine last night, and this morning the house got colder, well that would trigger condensation to form....in such cases, the condensation is much less of an issue.
I caught that tv ref as well

Benzen

Arachnopeon
Good to know this isn't a serious issue since i got worried too. Every night my whole damn apartment turns into a cold, swampy, high condensation area...you won't believe how much water i got to get rid of every morning from the windows. Enclosures are affected too, though not as bad. The "benefits" of living in a cold country. And i totally need to supplement heat every night so my Ts don't freeze to death (landlord shuts down heaters at night due to "green" policies). Energy bill will be high next year, but my Ts are worth it. It is what is.

slayerofgoliath86

Arachnopeon
Hi folks I think I have sussed it looks like my boiler pressure has dropped which would explain why my house is cold

slayerofgoliath86

Arachnopeon
Some pictures haha

the square container is same for 3 of my slings as they came in a beginner pack and these were containers supplied already with holes etc

the last picture is other boxes I have which I thought of maybe using

I spoke to someone in works brother and they said i should mix in some vermiculite or use some sphagnum moss which may help

the substrate I am using is terra spider

Attachments

Benzen

Arachnopeon
Some pictures haha

the square container is same for 3 of my slings as they came in a beginner pack and these were containers supplied already with holes etc

the last picture is other boxes I have which I thought of maybe using

I spoke to someone in works brother and they said i should mix in some vermiculite or use some sphagnum moss which may help

the substrate I am using is terra spider
Looking good. Enough vent holes, enough substrate. Some moss can't hurt though indeed.

slayerofgoliath86

Arachnopeon
Hi folks

Need some help if possible apologies about the similar posts

I have been issues with condensation with my slings have tried moving them to different rooms and just seems to be possibly related to my heating of the temp drops the condensation starts up but if the heating is on it seems to be less as much if that makes sense.

Had some suggestions such as adding vermiculite and sphagnum moss to the enclosures, also had something recommending kitchen roll at the back of the enclosures to stop it which tbh it sounds bizarre to me.

This is my current set up the 3 x square tubs came from the spider shop in a kit and the other one I had to do myself

Also I thought is it maybe worth trying drilling holes on top of enclosures to see if that helps?

Seen a few videos when people on YouTube are saying not to stress about the condensation but I do worry

As always thanks for your help

David

Attachments

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Would you add holes to the top instead
Yes, put holes in the lid. That will get a consistent flow of air in at the sides and out at the top -- the air in the enclosure naturally gets warmer than the room, and when the warm air rises, it goes out the vent holes in the lid. Without holes in the lid, it will sit stagnant at the top and not create a nice flow through the space. With the holes on the lid, the warm air leaving through the lid pulls in fresh air through the sides.

It may still take time to dry out. If you see condensation but with dry spots around the vent holes, that means it's making progress. You can also remove some damp substrate and add some dry if it's particularly bad.

Last edited: