Concerns about my tarantula.

dystopiadev

Arachnopeon
My tarantula is an Avicularia, or also known as a pink-toe. I know these spiders can go into premolt for up to two months. Mine has herself cocooned and it's been around 2 months now, a couple of days over. I'm worried and not entirely sure if this is normal behavior, she hasn't been even coming out to eat. Can someone help me out here? I love her and I'm worried about her

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Only thing you can do at this point is observe it every 5-10 minutes to make sure the molt goes successfully.

Last edited:

dystopiadev

Arachnopeon
Only thing you can do at this point is observe it every 5-10 minutes to make sure the molt goes successfully.
I've been trying to already but she's gotten herself completely surrounded in web to the point I can't see her.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
My tarantula is an Avicularia, or also known as a pink-toe. I know these spiders can go into premolt for up to two months. Mine has herself cocooned and it's been around 2 months now, a couple of days over. I'm worried and not entirely sure if this is normal behavior, she hasn't been even coming out to eat. Can someone help me out here? I love her and I'm worried about her
This behaviour is completely normal. And it could last way longer than just 2 months and would still be completely normal. Just make sure the water dish is full. With my Avics and their relatives, I also drop some water near them onto their webs and the sides of their enclosures from time to time. Other than that, keep calm and be patient. :)

You certainly don't have to observe them every 5-10 minutes as @Poonjab told you. That's nonsense. :rolleyes: :meh:

Your Avic will be fine. If you're unsure you can always post a picture of your set-up, so we can have a look, if there're any red flags. :)

dystopiadev

Arachnopeon
This behaviour is completely normal. And it could last way longer than just 2 months and would still be completely normal. Just make sure the water dish is full. With my Avics and their relatives, I also drop some water near them onto their webs and the sides of their enclosures from time to time. Other than that, keep calm and be patient. :)

You certainly don't have to observe them every 5-10 minutes as @Poonjab told you. That's nonsense. :rolleyes: :meh:

Your Avic will be fine. If you're unsure you can always post a picture of your set-up, so we can have a look, if there're any red flags. :)
Oh goodness sorry for the late reply! her setup Isn't her normal enclosure, I was cleaning out her enclosure and had her in a separate tank for while I was cleaning it and replacing the substrate, and she had spun herself a cocoon of sorts and went into premolt while in the extra tank, so the set-up issue is a bit- interesting, and kinda bad timing. I had a feeling she was okay, I was just a little paranoid cause I can't see if she's alright.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Oh goodness sorry for the late reply! her setup Isn't her normal enclosure, I was cleaning out her enclosure and had her in a separate tank for while I was cleaning it and replacing the substrate, and she had spun herself a cocoon of sorts and went into premolt while in the extra tank, so the set-up issue is a bit- interesting, and kinda bad timing. I had a feeling she was okay, I was just a little paranoid cause I can't see if she's alright.
Was there a particular reason why you had to clean her enclosure? I mean, you know, you don't have to clean her enclosure on a regular basis or so, especially with an Avic there shouldn't be any reason to do so.

It would be still interesting to see some pictures of her normal and the current enclosure. Just to make sure there's nothing amiss. :)

dystopiadev

Arachnopeon
Oh, I don't clean it on a regular basis, it just got to the point it needed to be cleaned. My phone is dead and I'm working on an essay at the moment but ill send a photo when I have the chance.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
it just got to the point it needed to be cleaned
Where did you get that advise from??.Dead prey in the enclosure?.Feces sprayed on the sides of the enclosure?.
Just trying to understand why you felt a need to clean the enclosure?Did you think you smelled something off?.
There are AB folks who have never needed to clean an enclosure for upwards of 2 years.Myself included.Cant add any advise on your T,s condtion,
to many variables.Your feeding,temps,enclosure all have an effect on your animal.