Concerned for my Emp scorpion

Lilith776

Arachnopeon
Hi! I picked up my first scorpion on the 17th of December last year (2021) and I’ve been trying super hard to provide the correct care. I’m unsure of it’s sex and not 100% on its age unfortunately. I’ve noticed it’s body condition seems to have deteriorated - it seems to be a bit dull in colour, white stuff around the telson and other places, it’s also no longer really moving around the enclosure and sits scrunched up either in the hide or just outside. I’m worried I’ve done something wrong and it’s not happy so I want to fix it asap and thought this was the best place to go to for advice.

It’s had four meals with me since I first got it the last meal being on the 10th of January
I’ll also provide some more info and pics below.
It’s an emperor scorpion, kept in a 30cmx30xcmx20cm on a coco fibre substrate, I use a shallow water dish and I keep the substrate slightly damp and mist if it’s too dry. It’s kept in my reptile room where the temp in there sticks around 75f all day and then only drops a little at night. He is offered locusts or small dubias which are gutloaded.

Apologises for the long post and apologises if I’m just an overly concerned new scorpion mum 😂

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi! I picked up my first scorpion on the 17th of December last year (2021) and I’ve been trying super hard to provide the correct care. I’m unsure of it’s sex and not 100% on its age unfortunately. I’ve noticed it’s body condition seems to have deteriorated - it seems to be a bit dull in colour, white stuff around the telson and other places, it’s also no longer really moving around the enclosure and sits scrunched up either in the hide or just outside. I’m worried I’ve done something wrong and it’s not happy so I want to fix it asap and thought this was the best place to go to for advice.

It’s had four meals with me since I first got it the last meal being on the 10th of January
I’ll also provide some more info and pics below.
It’s an emperor scorpion, kept in a 30cmx30xcmx20cm on a coco fibre substrate, I use a shallow water dish and I keep the substrate slightly damp and mist if it’s too dry. It’s kept in my reptile room where the temp in there sticks around 75f all day and then only drops a little at night. He is offered locusts or small dubias which are gutloaded. I’ve attached some photos the first is when I brought him home, second is the start of January and the third is yesterday

Apologises for the long post and apologises if I’m just an overly concerned new scorpion mum 😂
Sounds like the temperature is too low and humidity should be higher.

Lilith776

Arachnopeon
Sounds like the temperature is too low and humidity should be higher.
It damp enough for the substrate to hold its own shape but not to be dripping water, also 75f/25c or around that is what I’ve been consistently told is the appropriate temperature with online research.
When you say higher how much higher? That doesn’t exactly tell me much

Lilith776

Arachnopeon
The picture you had was woodchips/coco chunks
I can’t be bothered to dispute or argue so I’ve double checked the packaging labels on my substrate but it’s a mixture of coco fibre and coco chips not wood chips otherwise I would have stated so?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It damp enough for the substrate to hold its own shape but not to be dripping water, also 75f/25c or around that is what I’ve been consistently told is the appropriate temperature with online research.
When you say higher how much higher? That doesn’t exactly tell me much
You'll want a temperature gradient of the low 80s on one side and the 70s on the other. This way it can move and self regulate its temperature.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I can’t be bothered to dispute or argue so I’ve double checked the packaging labels on my substrate but it’s a mixture of coco fibre and coco chips not wood chips otherwise I would have stated so?
I can’t see the photos, but any chunky material in the substrate can make it difficult or impossible for the animal to build a stable burrow. That’s part of why we avoid chunks or chips in the substrate, regardless of whether they’re wood or coco. Burrows are important for these animals for a lot of reasons, one of which is the ability to escape to a moist place to avoid dry air and reduce moisture loss in the animal in drier conditions. Reducing ventilation in the enclosure can also help with minimizing evaporation. I don’t know if any of these are a factor in your animal’s apparent decline in health, but they are things you should consider.
If the animal is an older adult (again, I can’t see the photos), then it’s entirely possible that it’s simply nearing the end of its natural life span.

Lilith776

Arachnopeon
I can’t see the photos, but any chunky material in the substrate can make it difficult or impossible for the animal to build a stable burrow. That’s part of why we avoid chunks or chips in the substrate, regardless of whether they’re wood or coco. Burrows are important for these animals for a lot of reasons, one of which is the ability to escape to a moist place to avoid dry air and reduce moisture loss in the animal in drier conditions. Reducing ventilation in the enclosure can also help with minimizing evaporation. I don’t know if any of these are a factor in your animal’s apparent decline in health, but they are things you should consider.
If the animal is an older adult (again, I can’t see the photos), then it’s entirely possible that it’s simply nearing the end of its natural life span.
I switched out its substrate to a soil/coco fibre mix after browsing on here. No chips of any kind anymore, straight away went back into the hide and has been out a little bit since. I will reduce some of the ventilation. I don’t believe it’s an older adult as I was sold it as a sub adult but this could have been misinformation.

I’ll attach the most recent photo I have of him where he was out. I should have got another photo when I replaced substrate but I was in a bit of a rush

Thank you for your time to reply, I appreciate it

Attachments

Lilith776

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately found anubis laying flat with his ‘tail’ out behind him - I waited and watched for any signs of life and eventually nudged a tiny bit with forceps and there was no response. After continuing to wait I believe it has unfortunately passed away. If anyone could help me educate myself and understand why this has happened I’d greatly appreciate it

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Unfortunately found anubis laying flat with his ‘tail’ out behind him - I waited and watched for any signs of life and eventually nudged a tiny bit with forceps and there was no response. After continuing to wait I believe it has unfortunately passed away. If anyone could help me educate myself and understand why this has happened I’d greatly appreciate it
pictures of the bug and enclosure, post death.