Concerned for my Cobalt Blue. I need help.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As some of you may know from reading and posting in a few of the threads, my Cobalt Blue has suffered a great trauma this morning. (My cat Mo-Mo has been avoiding me all day because he knows I'm still angry with him.) I'm just kind of worried about her at the moment. She refuses to come down from the upper left hand corner of her Pet Pal. I just don't know what to do. I donlt want her to hang there until she either starves herself to death or dehydrates. Any suggestions concerning my problem would be appreciated.

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She's probably just nervous still, if I had to guess. She'll come down eventually, and I doubt she'll starve herself.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by pategirl
She's probably just nervous still, if I had to guess. She'll come down eventually, and I doubt she'll starve herself.
I hope you're right. This is the longest I've seen her hang on the wall in the corner like she is. I mean she didn't hang like that for very long the day I bought her even though she was fresh from being delivered to the petshop. I'm just hoping and praying she'll be okay. Any other prayers for my poor Luci would be appreciated as well.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well I've decided to attach a few pics just to illustrate what Luci's been doing all day. With a little coaxing I moved her (Without her biting me luckily.) away from hanging off the corner where she could get a leg lodged in the lid but she still refuses to come down. I'm just afraid she's going to fall.

Attachments

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She'll be fine, and will come down when she's ready.
As pategirl said, she's probably just a little freaked out from her "adventure".
Cobalts are pretty high strung, and the least little thing will cause them to go into a sudden panic and do things like...well...hang for hours (or days) on the lids of their Pet Pals.

If you're extra concerned about her, raise her humidity a little and put her in a dark room (or a closet). She'll calm down once she feels she's no longer in danger.

At this point, the best thing for her is just to *leave her alone* (which does mean to stop checking on her every 2 seconds and taking pictures of her...lol...).
I can understand how worried you are, but believe me, spiders deal with many more stressful situations than this in the wild :D

Flannery

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by safetypinup
She'll be fine, and will come down when she's ready.
As pategirl said, she's probably just a little freaked out from her "adventure".
Cobalts are pretty high strung, and the least little thing will cause them to go into a sudden panic and do things like...well...hang for hours (or days) on the lids of their Pet Pals.

If you're extra concerned about her, raise her humidity a little and put her in a dark room (or a closet). She'll calm down once she feels she's no longer in danger.

At this point, the best thing for her is just to *leave her alone* (which does mean to stop checking on her every 2 seconds and taking pictures of her...lol...).
I can understand how worried you are, but believe me, spiders deal with many more stressful situations than this in the wild :D

Flannery
Thanks. I might just put Luci in my closet at night more often since she's extremely active during that period of time. Then Mo-Mo will be hardpressed to get at her. Opening my bedroom door was a breeze for him. I really appreciate all the wonderful encouragement you've all been giving me. I've just had a very stressful day today considering my poor slings were sent to the wrong address and all. I'm sticking with UPS from now on. I'd rather pay the extra dough to get things done right instead of calling Airborne Express once every hour because they got their wires crossed. And on an unrelated note my poor misplaced slings are doing fine.

Last edited:

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's a first....

WOW! I've seen a lot of pics of a lot of Cobalt Blues but that's the first time I've ever seen one clinging to the ceiling:) . Hopefully she is not too over stressed. I think she will be fine (then again, what do I know)

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: There's a first....

Originally posted by blackacidevil
WOW! I've seen a lot of pics of a lot of Cobalt Blues but that's the first time I've ever seen one clinging to the ceiling:) . Hopefully she is not too over stressed. I think she will be fine (then again, what do I know)
Here it is 24 hours later and she still refuses to come down. :rolleyes: When these spiders throw a hissy fit, they really throw a hissy fit. I'm just wondering when she'll fold and decide she's stayed in her little corner long enough.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She'll come down.
As soon as she's ready, hungry, thirsty, or just tired of pretending to be aboreal.
(huggles)
I know your worries.
I worry about our weird little monsters. What my mother calls my "fuzzy fangy children."
Worry is natural.
Look how we T " parents" worry about moulting.
The tarantulas know what to do, they know how to do it, it's what they do.
Yet we all flip out every time one is about to. :)
I know I do.
Wondering what we can do.
Just keep giving her peace and quiet and she'll be fine.
:)

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welp...
Here's what I think about it:

H. lividums are like 2 year-olds.
They get upset and throw a tantrum. If you ignore them, they will eventually figure out that you don't care, and will calm down.

:D

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I swear that Luci thinks she's arboreal. When not in her burrow, which is mostly at night, she's crawling around on the walls of the tank or leaping about from one side of her Pet Pal to the other. It's quite a sight to see how fast she is.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Put her in a trapese?
I would guess if she looks healthy, eats and drinks and doesn't curl up in a ball.
That she's healthy, and probably happy.
I've heard that A seemini are burrowers and our Ceris has move a piece of bark from one side of her tank to the other and spends her time lounging on top of things.
Your lil one just might not Be a burrower, but a clinger.
feed her, water her and let her decide.
:)
If she's happy, let her do it. :)

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think Luci's a little bit of both. Right now she's in the corner of her tank stretched out, her four front legs in a forward facing clinging position while her back legs are streched out. Hopefully within a week's time she'll be back to her normal self. In the meantime I have cut out all access to my bedroom to my cats. I find it's just easier that way. There's nothing more incredible than seeing the leapng ability of a Cobalt Blue.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Update: Luci's still refusing to come down as far as I know. But I have reason to suspect she has come down at night for water because her water dish is quite drained. Hopefully I'll have some success and she'll come down and eat a few crickets I put in her tank tonight.