Concerned about King Baboon

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello All,

I have a King Baboon that is about 2 inches. It is in a small KK. Ate a small crick about 1 month ago. Is now burrowed in the substrate. I can see from the side. It does move but does not have an exit hole from the burrow. Can it get out when it wants? Or should I dig it out. Crix are in there for 3 days now.

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would not worry about that at all. My female C. crawshayi does this ALL the time. It is usually when they are coming up on a molt. There is a good chance that it is coming up to molt or it is bothered by crickets in the cage. I would take out they crickets. If it makes you feel better, you can always dig it out, but he will probably burrow again. This way you will at least not be worried about him.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Mine has been burrowed and been sitting in the exact same spot for three months now... I'm sure it does exactly what it wants to do ;)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1. Never, EVER dig up a T. It knows what's going on, you don't, and you'll probably just hurt it.

2. It's probably in premolt.

3. Any cricket not eaten in 24 hours needs to be taken out. If the T starts to molt and the crickets find it, they WILL kill it. They might be able to kill it anyway, we've had threads about that before. One guy just lost both his slings to live crickets--the crickets were slightly too big and just ate the spiders whole. Crickets are nasty business, get them out.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
1. Never, EVER dig up a T. It knows what's going on, you don't, and you'll probably just hurt it.
By your logic I NEVER would have known I had three mature males at my house (2 Cyriocosmus elegans and one Ceratogyrus marshalli) all of which had been mature for approximately a month when I dug them out ;) maybe even longer

2. It's probably in premolt.
Agreed, but then again, under the strictest terms every spider is in pre-molt ;) from the second it molts onward it is before another molt (and thus in "pre"-molt).

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the world of the "pet hole" From what I hear T's can burrow and stay in their holes for long periods. But peek in at night because they are nocturnal and will come out to eat and drink. Happy Trails.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
By your logic I NEVER would have known I had three mature males at my house (2 Cyriocosmus elegans and one Ceratogyrus marshalli) all of which had been mature for approximately a month when I dug them out ;) maybe even longer
That did you a favor, not the tarantulas. ;P Besides, you presumably have way more experience and a half-decent ability to judge when/how to do something. My default is to assume everyone asking questions like the OP should just be told to NOT dig it up, because better safe than sorry, and it's safer to assume someone has less experience than it is to assume they have *more* experience than they do. :)

Agreed, but then again, under the strictest terms every spider is in pre-molt ;) from the second it molts onward it is before another molt (and thus in "pre"-molt).
:rolleyes:

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. I will leave it for now. As I said, I can see it moving in there. I have also heard C. Crawshayi grow very slowly but I hope it is in close proximity to molt. I will try to get pics up soon. I got this T as a sling from Botar and it was miniscule when I received it.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. I will leave it for now. As I said, I can see it moving in there. I have also heard C. Crawshayi grow very slowly but I hope it is in close proximity to molt. I will try to get pics up soon. I got this T as a sling from Botar and it was miniscule when I received it.
yes they do grow very slow(but very long lifespans:p ) ive got 4, three were purchased as adults already and the 4th was a sling when i got it about 4 years ago and it's not adult size yet,but pretty close to adult,proberly 1 or 2 more molts,still very great spiders and hiding all the time ofcourse.{D