Concern about G. rosea size

cold blood

Staff member
Resized952016102595195724.jpg All right, if I'm reading right, she has indeed eaten since the last molt, and her fangs look fine...broken fangs are very noticeable....so its certainly not a physical issue, so I wouldn't even consider helping it eat or "soup". Personally I wouldn't worry, although thin, its abdomen isn't shrunken, which would be a sign of severe dehydration...and its acting normally. I really don't think there is concern, at least not yet and not for a while probably. Now, being thin, she will be more prone to dehydration, so you might expect to see it drinking or near the water dish.

Just keep offering different and different sized prey items weekly...watch for her hunting, their posture is pretty clear. When mine stops feeding, I stop offering till I see her in hunting posture...albeit, mine is usually plump when fasting. Personally, I think its just being picky.

With as long as these molt periods last, you literally have years to plump her back up, there's no hurry....an issue with these in captivity is the fact that they tend to get plumped quickly, because like this, many people worry about small abdomens in the hobby, and plump them quickly, which just causes long and random fasts as they get the majority of their needs filled for the 4 year period in a few months. Mine molted a year and a half ago, and she's just now starting to look plump. I feed her a single large cricket, 2-4 times per month...usually 3.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
View attachment 223517 All right, if I'm reading right, she has indeed eaten since the last molt, and her fangs look fine...broken fangs are very noticeable....so its certainly not a physical issue, so I wouldn't even consider helping it eat or "soup". Personally I wouldn't worry, although thin, its abdomen isn't shrunken, which would be a sign of severe dehydration...and its acting normally. I really don't think there is concern, at least not yet and not for a while probably. Now, being thin, she will be more prone to dehydration, so you might expect to see it drinking or near the water dish.

Just keep offering different and different sized prey items weekly...watch for her hunting, their posture is pretty clear. When mine stops feeding, I stop offering till I see her in hunting posture...albeit, mine is usually plump when fasting. Personally, I think its just being picky.

With as long as these molt periods last, you literally have years to plump her back up, there's no hurry....an issue with these in captivity is the fact that they tend to get plumped quickly, because like this, many people worry about small abdomens in the hobby, and plump them quickly, which just causes long and random fasts as they get the majority of their needs filled for the 4 year period in a few months. Mine molted a year and a half ago, and she's just now starting to look plump. I feed her a single large cricket, 2-4 times per month...usually 3.
OK, thanks.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It does look extremely thin. The fact that it's grabbing some of the prey items, webbing them, then discarding them is a bit concerning. There is the unfortunate possibility that the sucking stomach was compromised at last molt. If so, not much to do except keep offering prey, keep water available and hope it pushes another molt soon and is not too dehydrated to pull it off.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
It does look extremely thin. The fact that it's grabbing some of the prey items, webbing them, then discarding them is a bit concerning. There is the unfortunate possibility that the sucking stomach was compromised at last molt. If so, not much to do except keep offering prey, keep water available and hope it pushes another molt soon and is not too dehydrated to pull it off.
Thank you, we'll keep trying. :\

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now if y'all are 100% sure its female, then my course of action would be to try as many different feeders as possible. Often there's something they will take. The fact that it pounced on the cricket and killed it, tells me its hungry. Wax worms, earthworms and, people won't like this, but a pinkie mouse are all things to try. I'd suggest pre-killed items, but many rose hairs won't touch pre-killed...they are a notoriously picky eating group of tarantulas. Mine for instance, often refuses food unless the prey item is large enough, then it will drill it....mine's shown a clear preference for the largest prey items many times.

Now for the potential bad....its last molt could have had an issue with the mouthparts, specifically the sucking stomach. If this is the case, it may just not be able to consume anything....its a long shot, sure, but it happens and isn't unheard of. A freshly molted t, even a rose hair, should be heavy on the feed.....aside from damage to the mouthparts, the only other reason I would expect to see this is if it were a MM.....I'm not saying it is, I'm just sayin'.

Has your friend noticed it drinking water at all?

On the other hand, its only been 2-3 weeks since its last meal, that practically a feeding schedule for the species, so I wouldn't even begin to worry...until it doesn't eat for 3 months, I don't even consider it a fast for the species.
I second everything in this post, exactly what I would say but you beat me to it.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Listen to CB - maybe variety and larger sized prey will help.
My rosie went over a year without eating, however, she has a fat rump. She ate a large female roach (I dunno, 2 or so months ago) and I was so happy her fast was over. It wasn't over. I have had to remove feeders offered since then... she won't eat them but she sure kills them. And they don't look so 'intact' as your crix pix did.
I hope variety will temp this poor skinny T to dine!

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
Listen to CB - maybe variety and larger sized prey will help.
My rosie went over a year without eating, however, she has a fat rump. She ate a large female roach (I dunno, 2 or so months ago) and I was so happy her fast was over. It wasn't over. I have had to remove feeders offered since then... she won't eat them but she sure kills them. And they don't look so 'intact' as your crix pix did.
I hope variety will temp this poor skinny T to dine!
Thank you.

She was offered a hornworm today, didn't seem interested. Will attempt again tomorrow...

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Thank you.

She was offered a hornworm today, didn't seem interested. Will attempt again tomorrow...
Best of luck. Until her rump is fuller - this fasting can be distressing. Now mine -- with nice large rump -- I just accept fasting is a rosie thingie. Gotta love 'em.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
There is too much distance from the top of the enclosure to the substrate. A fall could be very detrimental. In fact it is possible it already has fallen and injured itself.

Also, metal mesh lids are terrible. They can get their tarsal claws stuck in it.

You need to add more substrate and change the lid to a pexi glass one with holes drilled into it.

Also the substrate should be bone dry.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
There is too much distance from the top of the enclosure to the substrate. A fall could be very detrimental. In fact it is possible it already has fallen and injured itself.

Also, metal mesh lids are terrible. They can get their tarsal claws stuck in it.

You need to add more substrate and change the lid to a pexi glass one with holes drilled into it.

Also the substrate should be bone dry.
Passing the message on....

My friend uploaded a video of the T's behavior. Maybe it could help someone get an idea?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMcPlY9hqbx/

The substrate is bone dry, but I believe they have been making sure the water dish is full, and it spilled out.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Passing the message on....

My frieded a video of the T's behavior. Maybe it could help someone get an idea?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMcPlY9hqbx/

The substrate is bone dry, but I believe they have been making sure the water dish is full, and it spilled out.
She looks like she is curious about
the wriggly things, but that's it.
The shape of her abdomen is a bit odd, especially in comparison with the rest of her body.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The shape of the abdomen is indeed odd and rather thin.

If it is a female perhaps something went wrong with the last molt causing an issue with the sucking stomach or some other internal damage.

grimmjowls

Arachnoknight
Yeah, that's what we're hypothesizing. Just hoping she has enough strength to pull through another molt without eating between now and then...

Icculus

Arachnosquire
I'm very new to the hobby. I was reading this post last night and saw this post today in tarantula chat under tarantula rant. for what it's worth.

My infamous G. rosea refused dubias, refused red runners, refused superworms, refused grasshoppers, but ate mealworms.. I had everything but mealworms on hand.. I have had a mealworm colony just for her.. she passed due to a cyst a few years back.. I still breed mealworms just in case just because of a one picky T..

Another rant is about my P. irminia.. I haven't seen her in months.. shemolted about 2 months ago.. she ate once and then vanished.. I know she'sstill alive by her webbing..

AAAnd the last one is about one G.rosea of mine.. She didn't eat in 3months... when I drop a roach shegrabs it and holds it for a few hoursand lets it go.. When I try to get the roach out - and I do it gently... I amfaced with a full defensive stance..and we're talking about full terminatoron her hind legs... -.- It's like the roachis her lover which she just hugs forhours or something-.-