Compsobuthus werneri judaicus

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey guys,

Are Compsobuthus Werneri Judaicus good beginner scorp?

thanks,

Fred

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As long as you are mature and responsible, they could be if you are interested in them
Just keep in mind that they are Buthids, and can possibly pack a punch if you get tagged, so just take the proper precautions when working with them.

Also, they are kinda small, supposed to be less than 3 cm as adults.

Lets hope I get some money saved up before you buy 'em all ;)

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
supposed to be less than 3 cm as adults
And that's with the metasoma stretched wellllll out...!

Are Compsobuthus Werneri Judaicus good beginner scorp
I would be inclined to say no...not because of any difficulties arising from their keeping and husbandry but simply because as they are so small a new beginner will have to have a steady supply of very small food items.
Also they are not very active whether day or night. If i want to see mine i have to disturb them..!

However they seem to be easy enough to care for....I give mine the same conditions i would give Scorpio maurus......ie sand / dirt mix (50/50) savannah, plenty of surface furniture and i wet one corner of their enclosure every now and again (not to often). Temps are in the middle 20's and humidity swings from 40-55%.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The specimens I have are pretty active. I used to have a nice colony of this species. They are very active in my opinion. Also, any scorpion species will take down any size cricket when they are hungry. Don't feed your specimen for 2-3 weeks, you will witness them chase the crickets. You don't need steady supply of very small food for this species {D . Look at the size of crix that i'm giving them :D . No trouble or problem so far :D

crix are 3 times bigger than them. I seen this 3-4 specimen take down 1 large crix :D. I didn't even bother removing the hopping legs. They grabbed it, stung it and didn't let go eventhough the large crix is hopping. {D

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Quiz..
Are they adult specimens in the pictures and how many do you have together...Any problems with cannabilism?

Working together to take down a larger prey, hmmm........Is that something they do everytime or only when very hungry?

I have 2 adults (females i think) that i house individually. They both shirk away from any prey larger than the next size up from micro cricket.

I also keep mine at temps from 25-28c...Do you keep yours at higher temps?

I've read that these are often found together in the wild but i have been reluctant to put mine together as i've only 2 and i'd be jar'd if one became a meal for the other.

Could it be that being house individually has impact on my C.w.j's behaviour as mine are very reclusive and as i said very weary of moderate sized prey items.?

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks guys for the infos. I really appreciate it. :)

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Quiz..
Are they adult specimens in the pictures and how many do you have together...Any problems with cannabilism?

Working together to take down a larger prey, hmmm........Is that something they do everytime or only when very hungry?

I have 2 adults (females i think) that i house individually. They both shirk away from any prey larger than the next size up from micro cricket.

I also keep mine at temps from 25-28c...Do you keep yours at higher temps?

I've read that these are often found together in the wild but i have been reluctant to put mine together as i've only 2 and i'd be jar'd if one became a meal for the other.

Could it be that being house individually has impact on my C.w.j's behaviour as mine are very reclusive and as i said very weary of moderate sized prey items.?
Had some problem before with cannibalism because I didn't feed them for good 3 weeks but I never had a problem again after feeding and offering a couple or few crix a week. If you only have 2, I wouldn't suggest putting them together just to be safe. The specimens I have are adults. I am almost sure that some of them are gravid because they are all chilling under the heat soon as I turn on my heat bulb and I see embryo's in some of them. Here's a recent pics of them.

There's a possiblity that your specimens are gravid. That's why they don't want to eat. You have adults?

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There's a possiblity that your specimens are gravid. That's why they don't want to eat. You have adults?
Yes, they are adults and it's not that they won't eat it's just that they won't eat anything larger than dafnia on hormones...

Still, i have my suspicions that at least one of them is gravid and if thats right then i'll have the option of being able to experiment a bit with the young.