Compost for Millipedes

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've noticed you can get bags of compost from various home improvement stores. Does anyone buy theirs or do you make your own? If you buy them, what brands do you recommend? I'd like to get some to use as a base for my millipedes if possible.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Bugs In Cyberspace makes several grades of millipede bedding/substrate that has all the essential 'ingredients'.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I have been using Green Envy's Leaf Compost. It is organic. I go through it pretty thoroughly as I sometimes find pieces of plastic or other odd things. I bake it at 250* for 2 hours in a large metal pan covered with foil. I add rotten oak and cherry that I found on an excursion. I add fallen leaves (mostly oak). I use about 50% coir and add leaves every week or two. Each enclosure has a rotten oak or cherry log that I cooked in a pressure cooker.

I had bought some Traeger wood pellets to ferment and wasn't excited about doing multiple batches. So I add that to my "recipe". I think, mixed in with other rotten wood, it will become edible relatively quickly. And I add a handful of aspen bedding for texture and something for calcium.

Last edited: