Completely uncooperative Male

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
So I have 1.1 b albopilosum Nicaragua
I've been attempting pair them but the make I'd absolutist uncooperative, never ever taps or does anything.
I've physically wasted hook load up several times and his enclosure is riddled with old sperm and on top of older sperm webs, seems like a twice a week or more thing with him. As well maybe 2 or 3 weeks after he matured I watched him tapping hysterically away in his enclosure(before I had the female)
But now that I have the female he is doing nothing.
I've tried: male to females enclosure
Female to males
Taking a bit of webbing from each and placing it in the others enclosure.
Paired at the dead of night with essentially zero light
Paired during the day
With the room at 80° or so
With the room being low seventies.

Everything.
He just does not tap at all, when introduced he will just sit and stay for forever (3 hours without any movement in females enclosure in top of her web mat)

Just wondering if others have ram Indy this and what they've done to remedy it? Do I just have a bum male?

As of right now the two are in the others enclosure for the night (female when into males hide when introduced to males enclosure and wasn't leaving willingly so I figured I'd try the different enclosures to see if I can't jump start my defective male) and I'm gonna see if that helps, if not I'm out of ideas.

Keep attempting regularly? Let them sit for a while?

cold blood

Staff member
Could be that the female isn't ready/receptive and he senses that

I had a MM ezendami I paired with my biggest female no less than 6 times, he'd tap sometimes, others just sit like a plant, so he would be removed...the few times the female emerged, he froze. After months I (we, this was discussed with the MM's owner prior) decided to just leave him in over night, I came back less than an hour later to him being eaten....bummer, but my female is now sitting on a nice hammock.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Could be that the female isn't ready/receptive and he senses that.

The problem may be with the female, who may not be in synch seasonally, and not giving off pheromones. If the female's not showing signs of being 'in heat', to the male she's just another predator to avoid. I've seen enough males killed to trust their judgment.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Mind you I've only tried pairing a handful of things, but even in that I have seen times were the male is very enthusiastic and the female ignores him. I've also seen the female drum, and the male not drum until she approaches him. I think the best you can do is make an attempt but be ready to intervene if necessary. And if it feels off, there is no harm in pulling him and trying again at a later time. Better to be patient and make future attempts then be hasty and only end up with a full female.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Someone feel free to correct me, but in my limited experience with breeding, they either show interest immediately or never at all. Sure, the actual pairing may take time, but drumming has begun within minutes of my successful pairings. The ones that did not do this never got anything done.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Yeah neither one drums when paired, the female will sometimes wander over to him and rear up (breeding posture, not threat posture) he just, as CB said just sits like a plant.

The female is relatively new. I've only had her for maybe 2 weeks. Maybe she needs to settle more to give off the pheromones?

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Yeah neither one drums when paired, the female will sometimes wander over to him and rear up (breeding posture, not threat posture) he just, as CB said just sits like a plant.

The female is relatively new. I've only had her for maybe 2 weeks. Maybe she needs to settle more to give off the pheromones?
Just trying to check off the boxes - are you sure she is mature?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
What's everyones experience with pairs like these? Do they eventually snap out of it? Should I give them a week or two to settle down and try again or what?