Complete List of Earth Tigers?

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
Does anyone knows the complete list of earth tigers? i can see some in wikipedia but its not the complete list

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It would help if you searched for Chilobrachys instead of their common name. I believe that any tarantula with the common name "Earth Tiger" is a Chilobrachys.

As a side, what a strange name. Earth Tiger. As if there's an air tiger or a tree tiger. Swamp tiger? My God, ocean tiger?

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
It would help if you searched for Chilobrachys instead of their common name. I believe that any tarantula with the common name "Earth Tiger" is a Chilobrachys.

As a side, what a strange name. Earth Tiger. As if there's an air tiger or a tree tiger. Swamp tiger? My God, ocean tiger?
Ocean tiger... pretty sure that's just a shark.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer

The tiger part is due to the markings on a lot of their abdomens. Not all "tigers" or earth tigers are Chilos either.. alot of the asian tarantulas are mixed the way avics used to be it seems

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think it's related or has something to do also, aside for their pattern, with Asian folklore mythology deities (ancient China especially, they had a crush for tigers) :-s

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tigers or earth tigers are classified into the subfamily Ornithoctoninae, they all share thr name tiger much the way a lot of separate sp are referred to as "baboons"

Omothymus
Cyriopags
Haplopelma
Lampropelmas...

And a few other species are often referred to as tigers

Last edited:

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Ive heard of earth tigers before but I thought that was just for Haplopelma species... some of which are now Cyriopagopus. On top of that I can list quite a few other genera/species around the world (especially Asian sp.) that have more of that striping pattern. In other words It's just another common nickname like "Bird eaters"

Dank Dankston

Arachnopeon

Tiger Shark.
Tiger Fish.
Probably more.

Edit:
How good of a swimmer do you reckon Tiger Woods is?

Leila

Arachnobaron

Outerspace Tiger, perchance? :troll::cat:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Tigers or earth tigers are classified into the subfamily Ornithoctoninae, they all share thr name tiger much the way a lot of separate sp are referred to as "baboons"

Omothymus
Cyriopags
Haplopelma
Lampropelmas...

And a few other species are often referred to as tigers
^That's correct, it's from Asia with a striped abdomen. Most have loosely used or just straight made up adjectives in front of the Earth Tiger label. A lot of help in IDing that is...

And don't forget Phormingochilus & Ornithoctonus spp.

Last edited:

creepa

Arachnoknight
^That's correct, it's from Asia with a striped abdomen. Most have loosely used or just straight made up adjectives in front of the Earth Tiger label. A lot of help in IDing that is...

And don't forget Phormingochilus & Ornithoctonus spp.
And Citharognathus

creepa

Arachnoknight
Are those in the hobby or even worthy of the "Tiger" label?
Good question... Ornithoctoninae sp. Vietnam highlands is supposed to be closely related or maybe even is Citarognathus and those are being bred more here in Europe...

Now they dont have the tigerstripes on the abdomen so that doesent realy make them earthtigers..., but Selenocosmia javanensis allso doesent have tigermarks but the common name (i hate common names!!) is Java earthtiger...

So its up to you to deside if Citharognathus belongs to the earthtigers...

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Good question... Ornithoctoninae sp. Vietnam highlands is supposed to be closely related or maybe even is Citarognathus and those are being bred more here in Europe...

Now they dont have the tigerstripes on the abdomen so that doesent realy make them earthtigers..., but Selenocosmia javanensis allso doesent have tigermarks but the common name (i hate common names!!) is Java earthtiger...

So its up to you to deside if Citharognathus belongs to the earthtigers...
Who gives? We don't use common names anyway. Lol