Community A. avicularia (take two)

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Even though my first attempt was less than successful (the female ate the male right after he molted into maturity), I thought I'd give it another try on a different scale.

I'm putting five Avicularia avicularia together into a 55 gallon terrarium with at least 15 hides. The spiders consist of two males and three females. All are about 3" long right now. I hand selected each for their docile natures :)

I still need to get the habitat ready, and all the spiders fattened up before I will be introducing them. I will be sure to keep you guys on this site updated as to what's going on with these cuties :)

Until then, let me introduce the pinktoes:

First, one of the females

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Oddly enough, my third post went missing. Here's the disappearing pinktoe for ya ;)

-Bryan

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats pretty cool, I have been tossing the thought around to start an A. avic colony for a while. I was thinkin about usin a 30 gallon tank and only using 2 females and one male. Maybe that wont work, I dont know. Anyway, keep us posted. I would like to see a good outcome.
dale

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Update (5-14-03)

A few days ago, I introduced the five pinktoes to each other. All are doing GREAT. Two have already built rather elaborate webs. Another is content walking around on the lid. One's turned into a pseudo-burrower and is hiding in a half-log. The last sits atop the highest point in the cage.

I've had a few bump into each other, but they either calmly part ways, or one runs like hell. It's really neat to watch. I think I made a good choice going with wild-caught specimines for this.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures of the setup. I'll take better ones once the lid-dweller makes a new home.

-Bryan

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh my ...
That looks absolutely wonderful! I'm planning on putting a few of those cute little A. avicularia's together too, but I don't think I'm as creative as you when decorating the enclosure :).

Thanks for posting those pics.

Dennis

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
Oh my ...
That looks absolutely wonderful! I'm planning on putting a few of those cute little A. avicularia's together too, but I don't think I'm as creative as you when decorating the enclosure :).
Thank you, but there's not much to it. Here's a list of what's in there:
*2 bags of peat moss for substrate
*1 x-large half log from PetsMart
*3lbs (three pieces) of cork bark. Two are circular and hollow, stood upright. One has natural moss growing on it.
*1 piece of driftwood, measured to fit.
*1 bag of pet-shop-style moss.
*1 $1.50 plastic plant from Wal-Mart.
*1 $5 plastic vine from Wal-Mart.
*All of the items above matched to a tropical background.

See? Nothing special :)

-Bryan

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
That is a very cool set-up. Hopefully it doesn't become a nice dwelling for one fat T :)

Questions: would this work for a couple of A. versi? Also, i was under the impression that being from the same egg sack was crucial for a successful colony. Is this not true? or is just a suggestion?

Jeff

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by jcohen9999
That is a very cool set-up. Hopefully it doesn't become a nice dwelling for one fat T :)

Questions: would this work for a couple of A. versi? Also, i was under the impression that being from the same egg sack was crucial for a successful colony. Is this not true? or is just a suggestion?

Jeff
I doubt that I'm going to have much, of any canibalism with the abundance of hides and space that these spiders have. That, and I'm gorging them on food.

From my understanding, A. versicolor is less tolorating of other spiders than the A. avicularia. The same egg sac is usually said for ornamentals, not pinktoes.

I'm fairly certain I have the correct conditions this time around :)

-Bryan

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's awesome the time and effort you have put into that set-up. I think it looks great and is perfect for Avics. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have 5 A. avic slings that I am going to set up together. But they are much smaller ( 1-1.25"), and are from the same egg sack. I'll probably start them out in a 10 gallon tank that I have.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
beautiful setup, no doubt! i have a friend you remind me a lot of who's major is landscape design - specifically for reptiles and the like. he does some incredible work though mostly he uses natural plants.

however, that is simply gorgeous.

as for the other question, i've heard the most important thing (but certainly NO assurance) is to only keep the same type...

so, all A. avics or versicolor or whatever...but not to mix them.

still, it's generally not recommended but this would be your most likely successful venture.

good luck all! i'll be watching this thread closely! :D (if nothing else, to get glimpses of the beautiful setup and even more gorgeous avics!)

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Thought it was time for another update on the pinktoes :)

Everyone's doing GREAT. I've been gorging them on crickets, so they have absolutely no desire to eat each other. I still have plenty of crickets just running around, now.

The only drawback I've seen to this project is the sheer amount of crap that pinktoes will spray on the glass. I swear, I'm cleaning it every day, and it's STILL coated!

Anyway, on to the pictures. The first is the web of pinktoe #1 (numbered by how quickly they set up their webs).

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
This is pinktoe #2. It has set up a "web" inside some cork bark. It defends this hide VIOLENTLY! :)

-Bryan