communal?

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
can any of these be kept communal within there own species, I'm still pretty new w/ scorps.
Anuroctonus Pococki
Centruroides Exilicaude
Heterometrus Spinifer
Paruroctonus Silvestrii
Superstitionia Donensis
Vaejovis Carolinianus
Vaejovis Puritanus

Thanks, Warren

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know most Centruroides are comunal and from experiance I have 2H.spins housd with 2 P.imps. I think that Vaejovis species are mostly comunal too but as adults

wburke17

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Abyss_X3....
anybody else have any info about this?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
agreed...most of the time when you find v. carolinianus they are in groups...i think same goes for Centruroides sp..

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I catch V. carolinianus all the time and they do just fine in large groups. I know someone that has kept a dozen or more in a ten gallon with no problems at all. I've never found them in groups though. IME they are usually scattered and I have to walk a good ways before I find another one. Of course that may just be here. Someplace that has a much larger population might indeed have groups of them running around.

SalS

Arachnopeon
I too have kept V. carolinianus together in groups with no problems. If you get them to have babies the others will eat the babies though. On a rare occasion I have found 2 or 3 together under bark in the wild. Usually they are alone.

I have heard of people keeping H. spinifer together. I keep my pair seperatly because she is really large and aggressive.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't keep the P. silvestrii S. donensis and A. pococki together. They might be communal, again, they might not be.

Mike

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
virtually all the species that are called communal are much more "tolerant" than communal.

for one thing, communal indicates they help each other out with some random tasks of daily living. i.e. all dig out a burrow system then all live in it. this typically doesn't happen too much that i have heard of. sometimes they will take advantage of the same burrow/hide but that isn't really the same thing.

also, pretty much every species mentioned so far has eaten same species specimens in captivity. sometimes they never do but then sometimes....

in the end it comes down to how comfortable you are with potential cannibalism.

oh yeah, and on a related note: at one point i thought V. puritanus might be the male of P. silvestrii (cuz of how thin and streamlined puritanus are) and tried putting two together to introduce them.... i don't think i have EVER been stung that fast or that many times! i literally had to drag the cranky ass puritanus off of the silvestrii and protect the silv with my hand. lol. i eventually got babies from both those scorps. 12 from the silv and like ~50 from the puri

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have kept many species together that arent supposed to be "communal". If well fed there is less chance of cannibalism