Communal

tarantulagooroo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys, I am wondering what all species are "Communal" I would love to get some, I heard that H. Gigas are. I am getting some slings soon and I want to make sure they are :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So far.. The communal I have together none have been ate.. They all have been seen under the same hide together.. Though.. There are a couple that will wonder off & be by itself.. Though.. For the most part they stay together..

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
H. incei's are communal. I have some living together right now and they have been living together for months just fine.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hysterocrates gigas is not communal. Search the forum for the rest.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hysterocrates gigas is not communal. Search the forum for the rest.
Actually.. IIRC AbrexComplex has had a communal of H. gigas with no sign of death due to cannibalism..

I may be mistaken.. But I believe he does.. I know he only likes having communal tarantulas..

So.. Hopefully he will chime in on this one..

OrdoMallus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know he had a large communal setup of H. incei that was running for atleast 4 generations, thats where i got my 5 and he did up the enclosure for them, its been doing very well, I've only seen a single male for a long time though, but i know there are females in there, as he is still spinning sperm webs and sitting at the entrance of their burrows, food disappears pretty quickly in there too! Heterothele villosella was another communal species AbraxasComplex was having good success with. I'm always excited when i get to go to his place and see his stuff, always insanely nice settups as well as species he has! Awesome always Awesome!! He's always awesome to deal with as well! anyway i'll let him post and i'll keep quiet now.. he's much better off to explain the communal stuff than i am to even try.

Last edited:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a communal of A. avics. Doing fine.

However, this topic has been discussed over and over. Try the search function. :)

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Before joining this site, I didn't even know there were communal Tarantulas.:D Unfortunately I'm a little short on advice. Good luck though!

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've successfully raised P. cambridgeii slings communally to juvie size in several different set-ups with little to no casualties. The key is to provide not only enough space for them to set up their own tube web but also to provide enough food so the siblings never look appetizing to one another.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually I have not started the Hysterocrates gigas tank yet, but after hearing the Toronto Zoo had a multi-generational tank with about 40 individuals of various sexes and sizes I decided to try it out. I'm trying at first with spiderlings/juveniles, though I have some adults that will be put aside for breeding. The tank will have a swamp portion and various burrow areas.

Mating adults do tolerate each other for extended periods and the parental care lasts for months. Also there have been some reports of juveniles using the same burrow networks.

As for the best readily available species to try coexistence projects with:

Holothele incei
Holothele incei "gold" - same species, but stunning
Heterothele gabonensis
Heterothele villosella
Monocentropus balfouri

I have other projects going with various species, but will not list them due to them not being available or I have not had multi-generational success yet in the social tank setting.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually I have not started the Hysterocrates gigas tank yet, but after hearing the Toronto Zoo had a multi-generational tank with about 40 individuals of various sexes and sizes I decided to try it out. I'm trying at first with spiderlings/juveniles, though I have some adults that will be put aside for breeding. The tank will have a swamp portion and various burrow areas.

Mating adults do tolerate each other for extended periods and the parental care lasts for months. Also there have been some reports of juveniles using the same burrow networks.

As for the best readily available species to try coexistence projects with:

Holothele incei
Holothele incei "gold" - same species, but stunning
Heterothele gabonensis
Heterothele villosella
Monocentropus balfouri

I have other projects going with various species, but will not list them due to them not being available or I have not had multi-generational success yet in the social tank setting.
Ahh... My apologies.. I thought I read somewhere you had one setup already..
Thanks for clearing that up.. :eek:

Sorry about that Falk..