Communal viv for Laiticus

jimw1970

Arachnopeon
Hi. I currently keep 2 young spinifers and a juvenile S. Maurus
I have been offered 3 Lauticus believed to be 1.2.0
If I can confirm their sex what are the chances of keeping them in a communal viv?
I already have a 40 x 16x 16 setup with pond liner silicone to the base and will setup with a couple of inches of coir / spider life / sphagnum moss and plenty of hides.
With a 30w UV on a stat I have a warm end of about 78 and a cool end about 73.

From what I Have read, plenty of hides and food will help.
Anyone got any experience of a communal Hetermetrus setup?

Thanks. Jim.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Just to be clear, are you talking about Heterometrus laoticus?

With all predators there is a chance of predation when keeping communally. For this reason it’s not typically recommended by the cautious. However, Heterometrus in general tend to be much more tolerant of each other, particularly as juveniles, provided sufficient space and food are available. Adults generally are much more prone to cannibalism. I have three juvenile H. silenus that I have raised together in a communal setup, but will be separating them this winter as they are approaching maturity.

So in short: are they communal? Yes, until they’re not.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
If I can confirm their sex what are the chances of keeping them in a communal viv?
I already have a 40 x 16x 16 setup with pond liner silicone to the base and will setup with a couple of inches of coir / spider life / sphagnum moss and plenty of hides.

Thanks. Jim.
Don't keep any scorpion communally.
I have had females kill females, females kill males.
I kept 3 juveniles overnight together prior to shipping them the following day. In the morning I had 2 and a pair of claws.
Some " experts " will say oh! I've seen groups of scorpions together in the wild - yes mother and young/ juveniles until they separate and go there own way.
Others will say yes they are - but I'm separating mine as they are getting older.
Don't take the chance, you maybe lucky and have two or a trio live together, they only tolerate each other until they decide not to.
Keep them separate and enjoy, you could always have a large tank divided as I've done, much better and the scorpions will be better for it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

Thanks. Jim.
Don't do it. And remove that UV light ASAP, it is lethal to them.