Communal Species

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Just wondering, if M. balfouri is really the only true communal species of tarantula why is this? What about their environment or genetics causes them to live communally like that?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Just wondering, if M. balfouri is really the only true communal species of tarantula why is this? What about their environment or genetics causes them to live communally like that?
Just a random thought...maybe it's because they live on an island? (Socotra island)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Just a random thought...maybe it's because they live on an island? (Socotra island)
Living on an island would make sense.

According to this article, about a third of Socotra Island's wildlife is only found on the island.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Other Ts come from islands as well and don't really show that trait. I'm not sure why they work communally. I just know they do. Some animals are just more tolerant than others.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Other Ts come from islands as well and don't really show that trait.
True, but I'm not saying that all island t's are communal, I'm saying that the fact that balfouri lives on an island means that being communal would probably be beneficial.

As has been reiterated multiple times, the behavior hasn't been seen in the wild before (to my knowledge at least) and it could just be captivity bringing out peculiar behavior.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
True, but I'm not saying that all island t's are communal, I'm saying that the fact that balfouri lives on an island means that being communal would probably be beneficial. As has been reiterated multiple times, the behavior hasn't been seen in the wild before (to my knowledge at least) and it could just be captivity bringing out peculiar behavior.
As far as I know, they really haven't been properly studied in the wild so we really don't know how they act there. So beside guessing we really have no way of knowing.

Last edited:

1stboehmei

Arachnopeon
Hi, new to this site. I just wanted to add that i had 2 balfouri's which i seperated, then i regret it so bad, that i risk putting them together again. It had been 3-4 days since they was seperated, but when i added them back together, there was no problem. 3 weeks after they are still thriving together and shares tunnels. Have a great day :)

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
M. balfouri seems pretty safe for a communal setup but there is always somewhat of a risk, even when I pair up my geckos there is risk of injury so just keep in mind that with most animals there can always be a possible negative outcome of keeping them together.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Most other species don't seem safe to me but I believe it may be possible with a few others

WJHolby

Arachnopeon
Since the communal nature of M. balfouri is already well established, I would be curious to see some research done on them in a "true" community system; i.e. mature males and females, breeding freely, with Ts of various life stages in the same enclosure. Sure, it would have to be a pretty large setup... probably done in a university or zoo lab somewhere...

I'd be curious to see if the population reaches a certain point where cannibalism begins. In a captive-fed system, it's hard to judge "carrying capacity" since food and resources are abundant, but there are ways to design the experiment.

It makes me think of people with guppies in a large tank... they breed like crazy and there are tons of fish at different life stages. Eventually, they start to die off either due to pollution, starvation, or cannibalism.. and the population stabilizes again.

Are they similar to bees? Given the space, would a group eventually break off and establish a "new colony?" All questions that I wish I had the time and resources to study more in depth...

...That old biology degree never quite leaves the brain... Maybe I'll book a "vacation" to Socotra Island to find out... LOL

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm not sure why they work communally. I just know they do. Some animals are just more tolerant than others.
No, it's because they aren't strong, bulky, massive like the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) so united those tiny can resist more :troll:

M.balfouri hissing: his... s - his...s <-- please go away :anxious:

Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her): HISSSSSSSSSSSS! <-- 15 minutes of threat pose, colors due to venom effects hallucinations :angelic:

BUZZLIGHTYEAR

Arachnopeon
I am in the process of setting up a communal enclosure featuring about a half dozen P. rufilatas. I have researched this species as best as I can with what's available and have consulted several breeders that I have done business with in the past. Two of which have communal setups with this species. There is a field study that is online that mentioned observations in the wild of this species living communally. The proposed reason being the destruction of their habitat and the relatively small geographic area in which they are found. I don't mean to derail this thread but perhaps widen the scope of this discussion on communal possibilities.