Communal setup reports

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if there is or can be a section where you can read and post reports/info on people keeping tarantulas communally. Information like # of T's kept, T's from same egg sac or different egg sac, sizes of tanks used, genus/species etc. etc.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are several threads on this, but no devoted section. Unfortunately, most of those threads contain a lot of bickering, arguing over semantics, and general internet tough guy nonsense, but there is some useful info in some of them. Just run a search for "communal" and you should find them.

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
yea a more devoted section is what I had in mined. This topic does comes up from time to time from people who are doing it and people asking questions about it so that's were the idea came from.

Unfortunately, most of those threads contain a lot of bickering, arguing over semantics, and general internet tough guy nonsense, but there is some useful info in some of them.
LOL. Life on the World Wide Web as I call it.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tarantulas.us has a subforum for communal tanks, but I've heard there is a lot of crap to put up with there as well. Not to reccomend another place over AB or anything.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know Joe has a P. murinus communal, or did have I have no idea how that thing is doing though. Any updates on that if you read this?

H. incei can be communal
P. regalis? I think.

There are more but I can't name them off of top of my head.

Either way it is just best not to do it unless you know what you are doing, or at all in my opinion.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some common communal species I've seen:
H.incei
P.murinus
Pokies, with mixed success
H.gigas

I've never kept anything communally, and I'd say it's something only someone who is experienced enough to anticipate the difficulties, and emotionally mature enough to deal with potential lossess should attempt it. I'm not saying you aren't, since I don't know you, it's just one thing that needs said IMO.:D

Also, Sleazoid--you mean xhexdx. There are quite a few Joe's here, just ask CAK. ;)

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
I have P. fasciata right now about 20 or 30 I'll get an exact # soon. Plan on keeping a couple more communal set-ups.

I agree it can be a hand full to say the least but to be honest IME my 1 T. strimi is more difficult to keep then the communal pokies lol but that has a lot to do with the hairs.

Edit: I still think AB users would only benefit from having a communal report section but that is just my opinion.

Last edited:

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also, Sleazoid--you mean xhexdx. There are quite a few Joe's here, just ask CAK. ;)
I know, but usually when people say Joe, they think of xhexdx. I know Cak's name is Joe too, he just isn't someone I would refer to by name like Rob, Joe, Tommy, Anastasia...even if that is her AB name lol.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I currently have a setup with 3 baby P. formosa in it They are about 2"-2.25" DLS. The tank is 6x6x10, vertical height. It's set up with a water dish, fake plant, and two large slabs of cork bark. There are three little burrows at the base of the bark. They have also webbed around the bark, and between the bark and walls of the tank.

I saw two babies at one time yesterday. One was in the top of a burrow, one was climbing the bark and sat there with his little toes hooked over the top. I think I saw the third in one of the other burrows.

I've had them for five weeks, they were kept communally before that (at the breeder's). I toss in about 6 med crickets a week. At the moment I see two crickets that did not get eaten yesterday.

Marga

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
There are three little burrows at the base of the bark. They have also webbed around the bark, and between the bark and walls of the tank.

Marga[/QUOTE]

Was wondering do they share borrows with each other or do they keep to them shelves? With only 3 they really have a chance to stay seperate so it would be real interesting if they shared.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
From what I can see, two of the burrows seem to join at one place. I have photos of them sitting overlapping each other from the first few days when I moved them into their enclosure. They seemed to prefer being near each other when I first put them in.

Marga

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that having a communal reports section is a cool idea. I enjoy reading the breeding reports, successes/failures, especially before I start a project. This would serve a similar function. And while I've never been bit I browse the bite reports now and then too, just to learn about people's experiences. I wish more people used the report sections.
You could always try posting this in the troubleshooting/suggestions section to bring it directly to the attention of the admin. It's their call after all.

BlackVenom

Arachnopeon
From what I can see, two of the burrows seem to join at one place. I have photos of them sitting overlapping each other from the first few days when I moved them into their enclosure. They seemed to prefer being near each other when I first put them in.

Marga
That's interesting to hear. I wonder if tarantulas are sophisticated enough to construct borrows together kind of like what ants do. Teamwork LOL

I think that having a communal reports section is a cool idea. I enjoy reading the breeding reports, successes/failures, especially before I start a project. This would serve a similar function. And while I've never been bit I browse the bite reports now and then too, just to learn about people's experiences. I wish more people used the report sections.
You could always try posting this in the troubleshooting/suggestions section to bring it directly to the attention of the admin. It's their call after all.
Good idea. Don't know when I'll get around to it but it won't hurt to try.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have the following social projects going, many of them multiple generations strong:

Heterothele gabonensis
Heterothele villosella
Hemiercus sp. Venezuela "Gold"
Hemiercus sp. Venezuela "Red"
Holothele incei
Holothele sp. Colombia (Bumblebee)
Monocentropus balfouri
Oligoxystre sp. Atlantic Forest Brazil
Pamphobeteus sp. Chicken Spider

And was about to set up a Hysterocrates gigas group, but I no longer have the room for the massive tank I envisioned.