Communal scorpions + newbie suggestions?

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
So my wife said I could get a scorpion if I wanted and since I'm going to a huge arachnid/invertebrate show on Sunday... I plan to get one, or a couple, not sure.

I've only had Theraphosidae as well as a couple true spiders before, all of which are kept in single enclosures to avoid cannibalism, etc.

I'm particularly interested because I've heard certain scorpions can be kept communally? If so, is there any particular species to go for? Also a very newbie-ish question, but what'd be the best Scorpion for a starter?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Another vote for Centruroides gracilis, or any Centruroides in fact. Great communal species, as adults.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
All Centruroides have hot venom since they're buthids...but it would make sense that some are still nastier than others both in venom and attitude. They certainly aren't as bad as Tityus! All that said, I'd go with Centruroides as well if you're shooting for a communal enclosure. They also make good starters, but if you don't want something super venomous you can always get Heterometrus or Pandinus. A great starter buthid that's a bit less common is Rhopaluris junceus. One of the best starters in my opinion. Great color, easy disposition and hardy as all get out.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I would recommend P. Dictator or P. Imperator (if by chance you could find them) or heterometrus spinifer. All do well communally but try not to get 2 males.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Scorpio maurus palmatus are cute little communals as well.

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for the posts here! I didn't see anything besides Heterometrus scorpions and some P. Imperator which were WAY over my price range (£65 each, which I know may not be much for some but more than I was willing to spend then...

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Vaejovis hoffmani or whatever their current name is are great lil communals too.