Communal Question

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If I purchased 5 Avic Avics that are around 2 to 3 inches, would they be OK in a communal set up??? Reason I ask, I can get them very cheap but I don't have room for separate enclosures. If the opinion of the boards is negative on this, I will probably pass on the deal.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Bring on the negative!
Two things not to ask arachnoboards. Are avics communal and my tarantula lost a leg will it grow back?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bring on the negative!
Two things not to ask arachnoboards. Are avics communal and my tarantula lost a leg will it grow back?
Yeah, I do not know why people keep thinking Avic's are communal.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I do not know why people keep thinking Avic's are communal.

If they go to Petco I can understand why. If you read the little description below the enclosure it says "Pinktoe Tarantula: Can be kept in groups of two or more of the same size." And I saw the funniest thing ever on it too. It says "This animal can release a toxin that may cause allergic reactions." I'm thinking maybe they think if they put it will shoot poop at you, it will be less likely to sell.

@OP, yeah avics ARE NOT communal, they are tolerant to some degree.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some still claim A. minatrix are communal, but I have no experience of my own to add to it.

Death999

Arachnopeon
Some still claim A. minatrix are communal, but I have no experience of my own to add to it.

If you think about it that wouldn't suprise me if they are, because they are kinda on the dwarf side if I'm correct A. Minatrix doesnt get very big.

And beside pokies it seems all the T's that are communal tend to be dwarf species. working in numbers to make up for size

just a theory though

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I kept groups of 10 minatrix together until they were around 2" and they never tried to eat each other.
I have also seen avic avics kept together from birth to about 3" with no problem too, but much longer than that started to result in a mortal combat like environment.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I suspect when young the "need" to move away from each other is reduced. Groups often survive better than singles.

The question of "communal Avicularia spp." has come up since the 1990's at least, and probably before. Of course when you can purchase a stressed out, nearly dead, wild caught for $2.50, some folks figure "why not?" Of course as time goes by, they regain their strength and territoriality and then each other.

Sadly the local zoo has a few adult A. versicolor crammed in the same small tank.

In any case, it's an old question. If the OP wants to do communal species, it's best to look at other genera.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a little H.incei communal going there now. I must say its rather boring :/ Burrowers :wall:

Maybe when there gets to be a bigger population it will be more interesting.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a little H.incei communal going there now. I must say its rather boring :/ Burrowers :wall:

Maybe when there gets to be a bigger population it will be more interesting.

Give my little guys time. Supply a lot of broken pieces of cork bark and branches. Make it a catacomb of hiding spots. They'll web up the entire thing and come out quite often.

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon
Something I've noticed, and correct me if I'm wrong, but many T texts state that t's have been found tolerating eachother of a several generational status, but in the same burrow or the same tree, is there any possibility this could be due to a similiarity with ants? Ants of differing colonies with eat eachother in a heartbeat, even if identical species, could it possibly be that brood mates, or just direct familial relatives tolerate eachother more easily than complete strangers thrown into a cage and told to get along?

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If I purchased 5 Avic Avics that are around 2 to 3 inches, would they be OK in a communal set up??? Reason I ask, I can get them very cheap but I don't have room for separate enclosures. If the opinion of the boards is negative on this, I will probably pass on the deal.
In my experience I kept this sp together for as long 6 months then one of them start cannibalized so I have to separate them. In conclusion to this experiment Avic Avic are not communal.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What about P. Irminias?????

Run a search for communal and you will find EVERYTHING you want to know. There are plenty of threads on this subject. And as for P. irminia, no they are not.

Last edited: