Communal Pokeys

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, here goes...

Does anyone have any idea how I should go about introducing three P.Regalis slings into the same enclosure? They are about 1" now.
Should I put them all in at the same time. Or do one at a time, letting it settle in before I put in the next one?

The enclosure I'm gonna use will be large, 24"x16"x28". And I will make lots of places to hide/live.

So any advice? LaRiz?

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can't really say I have any special reason for doing it, I simply want to try having an enclosure with several T's, and I think that it might be quite interesting to see how the T's interact with eachother. And to my understanding P.Regalis is one of the best T's to do this with, however, I do understand that there is a chance that sooner or later there might be just one left.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
First off, let me start by saying that I have no experience with communal setups.

Now that that's out of the way, I would think that you would be better off introducing them at the same time. My reason for this is if you introduce one first and let it get settled, there is the possibility that it will be territorial and may attack anything that it sees as encroaching on it's territory.

First I would make sure they were all fed before trying to introduce them to the communal enclosure.

Then, I would go about introducing them by putting the containers they're in in the enclosure at the same time. Remove the lids. Finally, I would throw in a bunch of crickets to further assuage any hunger pains.

Another thing to remember is to make sure that there are multiple hides in the enclosure. You may want to try to have at least 2 for each pokie. This way there is still a chance that they can find one to their liking that is not already taken.

And remember, this is just how I would go about doing it if I ever decided to try it. I have no practical experience with communal tanks.

Scott

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My thoughts...

To even consider this, hobbyists should understand, more like speculate, on what might happen in a natural setting. I've never been to India or Sri Lanka, but would love to go before I die. Just gotta be some peace in that region first.
There's not much info out there on the natural history of any species of Poecilotheria. I could only guess and form opinions like everybody else.
I suspect that the groups of Poecilotheria that live in the same tree may all related. It's been said that hobbyists that successfully rear an eggsac, the spiderlings will feed and eat normally, with little or no cannabilism. It's when they're separated into their own enclosures, and then reintroduced to each other for communal housing. This is where the problem lies. When grow up together, it seems like they never loose touch with each other. They'll have familiar "smells" of one another. Separate them, allow them to molt at least once, re-introduce, and cannibilism will be a factor now.
When a females eggsac hatches, babies, I suspect, will semi-disperse. As they grow, males of course will mature first. These mature males having very few mature females to mate with, will leave. Thus, inhibiting inbreeding. I have no clue what happens to the females. Do they all stay in the same dead tree. Or are some females that don't have choice dens, chased away, almost being eaten on the run.
Tito, if you put your one inchers in the same enclosure, chances are that cannibilism will occur. If you still want to, go for the largest enclosure you could get. Your best bet is to hook up with someone, who breeds them, or better yet, has an eggsac. Obtain a couple of them, BEFORE they're separated. Have the person send them to you in the same container. I believe this will increase your chances of a communal set up. But for how long. I think everybody in the hobby would like to know.
Incidentally, I'm about to pair up Poec. regalis and perhaps, Poec. rufilata (might wait for a female to molt first). I will be trying to raise spiderlings, of same eggsac, together to see how long it'll last.
john

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks LaRiz,

I understand this is highly experimental and I appreciate your ,and the others who replied, thoughts on the subject.
My supplier thinks it probably will work out well, but he's maybe looking to sell more slings...:D

Anyhow, I will keep you updated.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tito
Thanks LaRiz,

I understand this is highly experimental and I appreciate your ,and the others who replied, thoughts on the subject.
My supplier thinks it probably will work out well, but he's maybe looking to sell more slings...:D

Anyhow, I will keep you updated.
I agree with with John says.......Mike "Troll" had a bunch of pokie siblings that he almost starved to see if they would cannibalize each other and none did.....I don't remember the enclosure size or the size of the pokes either......or even which sp. he had.....gee it is hell to get old, short term memory....uhhh....what was I gonna say?@!%^#
Ed

oh yea....expensive t's for such an experiment too....just my .02 worth.