Communal P.Regalis

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
communal regalis

Okay, my regalis slings has made it through their first molt. Well, the two you see in the pic anyway. They're room mates inside the corkbark, where you see the feet of the other.
The third one, who's a bit of a loner hasn't molted yet but it shouldn't be long.
The one you see best in the pic was the first to molt and is also the one who's usually out in the open, it's already gotten fat since the molt last week as you can see.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

wow! that is awsome! i love the colors on your regalis! how big are they now? When are you going to seperate them? Good Luck!

James

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks James.

Well, I'm gonna keep them together as long as possible. Hopefully their whole life... They're about 1,5"

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good Luck!

Tito,
Good luck on that mission! I have two female P. regalis that will hopefully produce offspring. I plan on doing the same thing. Though, I will probably use a couple more spiderlings for the experiment. My plans are to use spiderlings of the same eggsac, that have never been separated. Also, I will use an extra large/Jumbo sized enclosure to increase my odds.
How big is the enclosure that you're keeping your spiderlings in?
I wish you additional luck and totally keep us informed.
john

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Thats a big powder keg you have there. It only needs 1 spark to set it off.

Good luck though.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was not aware that P regalis had good odds of curviving communally.

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
They havent, but they have been known to get along if they are all roughly the same size, there are a lot of hiding places and a plentiful food source.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Actually alot of long time hobbyists believe that some Poecilotheria species are a good choice for communal set up "experiments".
Why not? Most are found in dead trees, with many others living in the same dead tree, in close proximity of each other.
Obviously there are a bunch of factors to take in account when you set out to do this. Proper cage sizing is one. The bigger, the better, I say.
Check this link, scroll down to Subfamily: Poecilotheriinae
Click me
And,
To read the Addenda and Errata of Schultz and Schultz's The Tarantula Keeper's Guide click the next link. Scroll down to page 73. Discussed is the possible communal tolerance of Avicularia, Poecilotheria and even Pamphobeteus!
Awesome reading here:
Tarantula Keeper's Guide, 2nd Ed., Addenda and Errata

Last edited:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz

Check this link, scroll down to Subfamily: Poecilotheriinae
Click me
a little bit off topic, but on the above mentioned website I found the following sentence:
"Poecilotheria hillyardi, A very newly described species"
Have I missed something? When, where and by whom was it described?

all the best,
Martin

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Martin,
I don't remember when it was when I first heard the name Poecilotheria hillyardi. But it wasn't too long ago. I know nothing of it.
If you wish to find out more, go to the home page of that site:
Eight-a site about tarantulas
You can email Garrick O'Dell to find out where and when he got his source information.

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Size of enclosure

Here's a pic of the enclosure, I'm planning to put in some dried wood to make even more hiding/climbing space.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tito said:
Size of enclosure

Here's a pic of the enclosure, I'm planning to put in some dried wood to make even more hiding/climbing space.

did you put "pokies" in this setup? and how did it turn out?

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

LaRiz said:
Martin H. said:
a little bit off topic, but on the above mentioned website I found the following sentence:
"Poecilotheria hillyardi, A very newly described species"
Have I missed something? When, where and by whom was it described?
I don't remember when it was when I first heard the name Poecilotheria hillyardi. But it wasn't too long ago. I know nothing of it.
If you wish to find out more, go to the home page of that site:
Eight-a site about tarantulas
You can email Garrick O'Dell to find out where and when he got his source information.
just for the record:
There is no description of a Poecilotheria hillyardi. The species Phillip CHARPENTIER planned to describe as Poecilotheria hillyardi and never did (some years ago he stopped working with theraphosids) has recently been described by SMITH as Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica
  • SMITH, A. M. (2004): A new species of the arboreal Theraphosid, genus Poecilotheria, from southern India (Aranea, Mygalomorphae, Theraphosidae) with notes on its conservation status. British Tarantula Society Journal 19(2): 48-61.
all the best,
Martin