Communal OBT Project

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bastardio OBT escaped when I removed the lid, I had checked, but neglected to do so again right before I fed. 3.5" OBT hanging out behind a bookshelf, taped it up so I can unattach the shelf and get it tomorrow...

The tribe has spoken.
It will get it's own enclosure.

Oh, and I got tagged trying to catch it. See bite report if interested.

noname

Arachnopeon
Sorry to hear about the tagging...

Superb thread, I've been looking for a guideline for this kind of setup for a while now. Gonna start it up this afternoon with five "usumbara" slings and see how it turns out!

Gonna toss alot of leafs and sticks in there in hope that they stay above ground.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alot of areanamorphs that poses the same charistics as OBTs can co-habitate nicely as far as my experiences go anyway, I thought about trying this along time ago but because of personall reasons I really haven't done much as of late, Keep an eye out for communication through their weblines and co-op hunting I suspect this species capable of both, I am glad to see some people are intrested in doing this and I think we could learn alot if we pay attention ;) awhile back I tried a com. set up for jumping spiders varying in size and species and it turned out great! I hope you have similiar luck with your OBT's sheri thanks for pm'ing me this link BTW.

PS: I posted my com experiment with jumpers in the other arachnids for anyone intrested don't know if its still there hasn't been posted on for awhile...

Also have had some success with communal widows but because of funding limitations I'm not so free with my tarantulas lol

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey Sheri just wondering how the project was going or if it was even still going at all? any info? just curious....

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Are you planning to keep them together as adults? (Providing they still tolerate each other at that stage..)

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I disbanded the project a coupel of years ago after downsizing the collection and passed it off to a herp friend.

They would all be adult now and the mature males long passed.

Would be fun to try again, though. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I disbanded the project a coupel of years ago after downsizing the collection and passed it off to a herp friend.

They would all be adult now and the mature males long passed.

Would be fun to try again, though. :)
Do it!! :) I know I would if I had a bunch of little OBTs running around.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I actually want to try this now. See how many generations I can get living together in a 10 gallon tank.

I happen to have an OBT out on loan, too :).

Does it matter if they were raised together or not?

skooma_addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Would they coexist even after maturity?
What other T's would it be safe to experiment communal setups with?

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would they coexist even after maturity?
What other T's would it be safe to experiment communal setups with?
I'm pretty sure some Avicularia spp., Holothele incei, Monocentropus balfouri, and some Poecilotheria spp.

Atleast I have seen successful reports of these in captivity, I'm not sure about them in the wild though.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is just my opimion, but it seems as though if space is tight and food plentiful in natural conditions, it is a result of this that certain species may also be kept as such in captivity.

Unlike what appears to be the case with the chicken spider of Peru, OBTs are not living cooperatively, but merely tolerating one another.

I cannot speak to the other species behaviour as I have not kept others communally.

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a wild idea about trying something like this i have soo many of these little guys iam thinking of building a large display case about 4 or 5 feet by about 3 or 4 feet and maybe 8 inches wide with branches and stuff siliconed to the glass and a sliding tray with substrate on the bottom and a screened top cap and seeing if i can get maybe 5 resident females living in this sort of display case i think it would be a really awesome display if it worked out

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i have a wild idea about trying something like this i have soo many of these little guys iam thinking of building a large display case about 4 or 5 feet by about 3 or 4 feet and maybe 8 inches wide with branches and stuff siliconed to the glass and a sliding tray with substrate on the bottom and a screened top cap and seeing if i can get maybe 5 resident females living in this sort of display case i think it would be a really awesome display if it worked out
I agree that would be insanely awesome, but the sliding tray wouldn't really work if they decided to web at the bottom.

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree that would be insanely awesome, but the sliding tray wouldn't really work if they decided to web at the bottom.
its pretty easy to get them to change there minds as to were they web if you just watch and if they start to web where you don't want them to you just mess up there web after once or twice doing this they move on to web somewhere else

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
its pretty easy to get them to change there minds as to were they web if you just watch and if they start to web where you don't want them to you just mess up there web after once or twice doing this they move on to web somewhere else
Oh alright, I usually just let them web where they want to so I didn't know. So you're just gonna make sure all of them web up higher somewhere. If you could actually get them to do that it would be really awesome and I look foward to seeing it.

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it will be a while but i will definitely post pictures when i try {D

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my opinion this is a good species to try communial living with because they are really cheap to buy and are always around for sale..

I have told yall ( I think) that i was gonna try communial living w/ a few of these guys but never actually got around to doing it lol..

I'm going to set up a 55 gallon tank for it so after I set the tank up I will take pictures of it. then maybe do $35/10 (from reptist) i wont be putting all 10 in there unless i can get it really set up nice....Since I'm extra excited about this I'm going to wake up at 7am tomorrow morning and get started on the whole thing.

And actually i will buying them this week hopefully. Like I'll order them tomorrow morning and get them wednesday morning

When I do this there will always be crickets in there all the time so there will never be a fight over food.

and hopefully out of this i can get a few egg sacs.

Anyone have any decoration ideas for me?

I know i'll be using the paper towel rolls because the mature male OBT I have now loves that hide and rarely comes out so those work well.

Keith1212

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks like the OP was banned...but still a great thread to catch up on!

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i was working on starting a big communal obt cage but lost intrest when i had some problems finding unrelated slings my cage is still unfinished but i still plan on doing this assuming i can find 5 sets of 5 to 10 unrelated slings/juvs i was planing on a mixture putting 5 of my mature females 1 sub male 1 maby 2 mature males and 5 to 10 of my slings in then 5 sets of unrelated slings/juvs more then enough to suffer losses and not worry to much the cage is divided into 6 parts that can be opened up to allow acess to each other untill i am sure i have a viable comunal in each section curretly the cage stands 7.5' tall 5.5' wide 1.75' wide not nearly big enough but its just a start if it works like i hope the next will be much larger most likly a walkin corner cage floor to celeing with a smaller ammount of Ts i hope to someday have a viable setup that will grow and thrive