Communal Desert Lizard Enclosure?

NathanB

Arachnosquire
Hi everybody, i am new to keeping reptiles, i have been planning to get a large desert lizard enclosure and i was wondering are there any small desert lizards that could live with one or two Dwarf bearded dragons? The tank Dimensions: 1200mm x 530mm x 490mm and i will be making a lid of some sort.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
HMMM well how small are these dwarf ones. If they are small enough maybe a leopard gecko XD? can u show a pic of the dwarf dragon
Absolutely not. Please stop spreading this sort of misinformation, especially to a self-admitted brand new keeper.

No. The basic rule, if you have to ask about mixing species, you're not ready to mix species. Besides competition for basking sites, you risk disease transmission, cannibalism, food competition, a whole host of problems. Beardies will eat anything that fits in their mouth, they are not suitable for mixing with other species. Keep them singly, ideally, and enjoy them as they are!

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Absolutely not. Please stop spreading this sort of misinformation, especially to a self-admitted brand new keeper.

No. The basic rule, if you have to ask about mixing species, you're not ready to mix species. Besides competition for basking sites, you risk disease transmission, cannibalism, food competition, a whole host of problems. Beardies will eat anything that fits in their mouth, they are not suitable for mixing with other species. Keep them singly, ideally, and enjoy them as they are!

Agreed.

NathanB

Arachnosquire

Thanks for the advise, as i said i am new to reptiles so didnt really know if i can mix species or not. Thanks for informing me. 👍

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Happy to help! Almost universally it's a bad idea to mix. But good luck with the build, and enjoy your dragons! They're super personable lizards, and lots of fun to keep. I'd start with 1, see how that work load treats you for 6 months to a year, then consider expanding. Beardies are labor intensive as far as herps go, they eat daily and are quite messy, but they make up for that with a great personality.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I do not have two, i am just planning and researching an enclosure for the future
One per enclosure, I have seen Adult Beardeds get along for months sometimes in pet shops tight on space ( I don't condone this obviously) but eventually they will fight. I had the displeasure of watching a large male rip off the arm of the female he was housed with because she came up on him while he was having a territorial dispute with another male in an encosure placed directly in front of his.. She bled out before we got her to the vet..

For the above and other reasons that have already been addressed I don't advise a mixed tank for honestly anything.. Some exceptions would be day geckos with dart frogs, a monkey tailed anole with a chinese croc skink etc.. Setups like these can be overwhelming too a newer keeper while, entirely possible with the right new keeper.. So I would advise you get the basics down for a year or two more if you can be patient, do a massive amount of research and then think over the idea..

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I would be hesitant to keep multiple individuals of the same species...by themselves would be better.

NathanB

Arachnosquire
Happy to help! Almost universally it's a bad idea to mix. But good luck with the build, and enjoy your dragons! They're super personable lizards, and lots of fun to keep. I'd start with 1, see how that work load treats you for 6 months to a year, then consider expanding. Beardies are labor intensive as far as herps go, they eat daily and are quite messy, but they make up for that with a great personality.
What about Desert Horned lizards and rankins dragons? Could they live together in a 75 gallon tank?

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
If you're a super new herp keeper (and you are), I would not mix anything until you have a sizable amount of husbandry experience under your belt. There's just too much that can go wrong that you would miss due to just not being aware you needed to pay attention to it.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Also, I should point out that 75 gallons may seem really big at first but once you out in the animals, it’ll look a lot smaller than you though.