Communal cockroaches

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks! Can't say we're exactly joining the hobby though, as we've kept hissers in the past. Still have one five year old grump, Leonard. Good to know about thier different care needs. I'll have to look each species further to make sure we give them the best care we can.
Don't know why I thought, "Oh roaches. Easy. Just make sure they have food and water." I should know by now that different species of things have different needs. :banghead:
Oh well! No harm done.
The second a roach enters your home with your voluntarily consent then you've officially joined the hobby. Just as a tarantula owner has joined the tarantula hobby with a single individual spider. Unless you're doing it professionally or as some sort of punishment, it's a hobby. You should be glad to be a roach hobbiest, the more the merrier.

If you buy two roaches of the same genus, different species and they reproduce and those hybrids find their way into anyone's stock people will be very angry, I'd advise against housing two species of the same genus together.

Roaches are easy, just make sure they have food and water is completely correct BUT you just have to add in environment into the equation. Not every roach species available is easy but most of them are, I doubt there would be problems if there is a large enclosure and only a few individuals. I personally only mix species together that aren't the same type of invert, like isopods, springtails, and roaches.

Good luck,

Eric

P.S. Most hisser species are hybrids unless you get them from a well respected source.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
The second a roach enters your home with your voluntarily consent then you've officially joined the hobby. Just as a tarantula owner has joined the tarantula hobby with a single individual spider. Unless you're doing it professionally or as some sort of punishment, it's a hobby. You should be glad to be a roach hobbiest, the more the merrier.

If you buy two roaches of the same genus, different species and they reproduce and those hybrids find their way into anyone's stock people will be very angry, I'd advise against housing two species of the same genus together.

Roaches are easy, just make sure they have food and water is completely correct BUT you just have to add in environment into the equation. Not every roach species available is easy but most of them are, I doubt there would be problems if there is a large enclosure and only a few individuals. I personally only mix species together that aren't the same type of invert, like isopods, springtails, and roaches.

Good luck,

Eric

P.S. Most hisser species are hybrids unless you get them from a well respected source.
Thanks. We'll just keep each species separate. Wait, do keeping dubias make me a roach hobbyist? I bet it does. They're too small right now for the spiders, but I get them out and play with them sometimes. They're cute!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I think she meant she wasn't just joining the hobby now, since she's been in it for a while with her hissers, lol!

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think she meant she wasn't just joining the hobby now, since she's been in it for a while with her hissers, lol!
They key to success is to always fly off the handles without just-cause the second a situation presents itself :p.