Communal Avi's

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, so I've been cruising through this site almost every day since I got my first T a month ago and I keep coming by random threads about keeping more than one T in an enclosure. The most common species I've seen tied to this story is the A. avicularia. I just wanted to know if anyone has successfully kept a community tank and.......
-how many T's per container?
-how and when to feed multiple T's in on container?
-how many hides per T
-and any other useful information
I would also like to hear from people who feel strongly against co-habitation and believe that it is impossible under any circumstance.

My intention with this thread is to either debunk the myth of keeping more than one T in a tank, or prove that it is possible, under what circumstances, and also have an agreed upon template on how to succeed at this endeavor without letting innocent T's die in bad attempts.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is possible...... with avics and pokies...... but here is what you have to keep in mind...... If one of them gets hungery or feels incrouched on or has a bad day..... you get one T eating another. So if thats worth it go for it.

I have seen plenty of community setups that have worked just fine. When fed alot and kept happy they seem to be at peace with a neighbor sitting right by them. But like I said before I dont think its worth the risk.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's the way i'm thinking right now, but if someone has a a setup that they use that can guarantee success above 90% (maybe higher) then I would definitely be willing to try it out. I just think it would be incredibly interesting to see T's interacting with each other in a shared space.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think thats really hopeful tbh..i dont think any1 could call their methods successful, unless they have bee raised/ matured and lived together til they die with no casualties..anything else i wouldnt consider successful.
I am sure they live in communities in the wild, not in the same home/ space or anything. Remember they cant get away from each other if kept together.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 4 regalis in a communal setup all about 1cm long. I lost two soon after i moved them into a tank, one had a few missing legs and I cant fathom out why it died, no apparent cannibalism, may have been just one of those things.

I have a piece of flat cork bark in a corner and a couple of cork tubes. they are in a 14x14x18 inch tank (bit big, but they are finding food ok) and they are all living in one tube. They feed well and are all looking fat and shiny, hoping for moults soon.

I would recommend starting off with something fairly inexpensive, as from what i can tell the conditions are hard to get right, at least then if it does go wrong theres not a huge loss.

It has been interesting to watch, hopefully as they get bigger they will come out more. But as many say it's up to personal choices and how much they are willing to risk trying; alot seem to spilt them after a certain size, but there are interesting articles on other boards about different species together, tho i cannot remember which.

The person i got a P. ornata from used to keep two adult females together. However one sister turned on the other when it became gravid from an introduced male.

LMS

Last edited: