Communal A. avics, the details...

sstrong

Arachnopeon
The Incredible SpiderCam

or

Battle-Spiders Galactica
:D heheheh

the real question is... should I put the cam inside the enclosure? I think that might be an interesting way of watching them. On a related note... I've heard that the frequency of electricity flowing through electronics is attractive to all varieties of small animals, sometimes escaping their 'homes' to relocate to the inside of a computer or something similar. Has anyone heard anything like that? The guy that told me this breeds bearded dragons but said that he thought it was true of T's as well.

sstrong

Arachnopeon
I've started moving the temperature gauge around the inside of the enclosure... and have found that the temperature ranges from 65 in the dark areas to 85 near the top... I'm assuming that my occupants will pick the area where the temp is most comfortable and hang out there the most... will I need to make any special considerations for feeding them? I can only assume that when they're hungry... they will find the food when they need to. But should I do anything in particular to "trap" the food sources close to the areas where they're the most comfortable?

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by sstrong
I've started moving the temperature gauge around the inside of the enclosure... and have found that the temperature ranges from 65 in the dark areas to 85 near the top... I'm assuming that my occupants will pick the area where the temp is most comfortable and hang out there the most... will I need to make any special considerations for feeding them? I can only assume that when they're hungry... they will find the food when they need to. But should I do anything in particular to "trap" the food sources close to the areas where they're the most comfortable?
Like I mentioned earlier - it's been my observation that crix tend to huddle around a heat source (in my case, the heat pads I've mounted to the sides of the tanks). My Ts pretty much know where to go looking when it's dinner time.

As for my temps, I keep them pretty stable around 75-80 with decent humidity (70%+).

If this solution doesn't sound acceptable, you could always toss in a sliver of potato or apple in the vicinity you would like for the crix to gather - just be sure to remove the potato/apple after feeding is over, you don't want mold or anything taking over.

LCDXX

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've heard that Poecs are the most social of the T's, but haven't experienced it myself.
Matt at e-spiderworld.com was keeping 8 P. regalis together in the same tank at his home.

Jim B.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Palespider
I've heard that Poecs are the most social of the T's, but haven't experienced it myself.
Matt at e-spiderworld.com was keeping 8 P. regalis together in the same tank at his home.

Jim B.
Yes, my understanding is that P. regalis and P. formosa are among the more "social" Pokes and have sometimes cohabited peacefully for years.

(Other times not! I've heard horror stories about P. regalis colonies where one of the inhabitants attempted a bloody coup.)

I've been tempted to try it myself, but have never yet owned any tarantulas I considered expendable. Sentimental me.

Joy