Communal A. avics, the details...

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
if i kept two A. avics together, what would be an ideal size tank and substrate as well as substrate height. i know they need ample spots to hide, but i don't want to overwhelm them with space either.

thoughts, suggestions? :D

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't think u can overwelm a t with space because they live outdoors wich ius lots and lots of space the space also allows a get away route so id say the bigger the cage for one T the better and for 2 ts the same goes.

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Redips
i don't think u can overwelm a t with space because they live outdoors wich ius lots and lots of space the space also allows a get away route so id say the bigger the cage for one T the better and for 2 ts the same goes.
hmm i think u may find a lot of people will disagree with you..more space doesn't necessarily mean the T will use it, i think from what i have read here, most will never venture to far from their burrow or normal chill spot...to be honest my T has never (that i have seen) ventured past the halfway mark of his cage...he always stays in one corner where he made his web bed...

also with a larger cage, you have chances that they will not find their food when the crickets or whatever go to that side of the cage they never venture too...also leaving more chance that a cricket you think was eaten actually is alive and laying eggs and then when the T molts...well danger...this is all speculation, and a little bit from what i have read here on this site and others....

but I had always thought the same...i would figure all animals would do better in more space, and a lot of the times it is not true...

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Redips, what if the T is CB and has never lived outside?;P
In this case if the T is overwhelmed and stressed you'll be able to tell by checking how often it is eating. If she is too stressed she probably won't eat.

Skadi, I say for 2 A. avics go with a tall 5 gallon tank and just put fake plants that suck onto the walls all the way up...that way they can make tube webs wherever they want.
As for the substrate, you would probably be good with just 2-3 inches of straight peat. Be sure to get good venilation goin for those 2 and give them plenty to eat or you'll end up with one fat A. avic!

Risto

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
u are very right but lets leave that decision up to her, im sure the size dosen't matter but i can see ur point of view and it makes very much sense.
im not trying to be fresh if i sound like it if u could hear my voice u would understand thanx in advance good luck
skadiwolf

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
as for what i posted, i just was reiterating what i have seen on the site here, so i don't know for sure...but i do know my G.rosea loves his corner :D

but anyway...we are all here to give opinions/ideas, so i am not one u will find taking things the wrong way...in other words...we are all trying to help and i realize that...

though i still do say that if i was an animal i would want a HUGE cage...hehe but i am not an animal (outside of the bedroom neway HAHAHAHAHA) so i don't know...but she can always try putting them in a big tank..they may love it...

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My opinion: Go with a larger cage, at least a full 20-gallon tall setup. If you use heating pads (some do, some don't - it's highly debatable), try positioning one on each end of the tank (preferably on the sides, not the bottom).

Why? Two reasons: While you increase the chance that the Ts may not find their food, you do create a "common ground" - crix will, after time, almost always congregate near a heat source. If your Ts are like mine, they will to. This would ensure that your Ts will encounter SOME food over a period of time. Also, with a larger enclosure, you'll need to increase your heat source to maintain a good balance. With a tall enclosure, you can provide good, lower source of heat that would (theoretically) disepate as it rises, thus giving the T a variable climate to adjust to.

But still, no matter what route you take, it's still a risky venture... but a profitable one if you can pull it off without the Ts killing each other.

LCDXX

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i'm still not sure, i might kind of go halfway and do a 10 gallon setup. then CLOSELY watch to see how the A. avics do together. the whole idea honestly makes me terribly nervous. :/ i may simply just get a male and keep him in a separate enclosure and just put them together to mate. Goddess knows i'd feel better about it. :)

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
u could put a mesh cage in between them first see how they get alonng then once u see how it goes u can remove it

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
They tend to treat a smaller "cage" as their entire burrow. With a larger enclosure, they would probably be more encouraged to create their own individual burrows. So, if you put two or more in an enclosure too small, one of them will take over "the burrow" as they willl think of it.

Did that make sense the way I typed it?:?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think a community of pinktoes would be really fun, are some pinktoes more aggressive toward eachother than others?

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
from everything i've read...yes.

A. avics are the most likely to succeed in a communal setting.

however, someone also mentioned Poecs can be good together, however, i don't know if like the Avics some species are better to keep together than others.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I got a female p. scrofa this weekend for my male... I just set her in his cage and then went on to other things.... well they seem to be living together quite nicely! The enclosure is rather large for scrofas so they have plenty of room to hide from each other. There are little bunches of silk leaves and "mountains" and "valleys". I figured if they're doing o.k. I'd just leave them together. Well, they seemed to have had a great weekend and I haven't separated them yet. This IS experimental, don't try this at home!

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf
from everything i've read...yes.

A. avics are the most likely to succeed in a communal setting.

however, someone also mentioned Poecs can be good together, however, i don't know if like the Avics some species are better to keep together than others.
Just make sure they're not hungry

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Static_69
Redips, what if the T is CB and has never lived outside?;P
Good point. But, when you think about it, tarantulas have adapted to living in the wild, regardless of where they were hatched. You can take the T out of the wild, but you can't take the wild out of the T. :)

Originally posted by AllenG
though i still do say that if i was an animal i would want a HUGE cage...hehe but i am not an animal (outside of the bedroom neway HAHAHAHAHA) so i don't know...but she can always try putting them in a big tank..they may love it...
A large cage may not hurt, since wild animals have entire continents to roam. Many animals simply choose to stay in a "home area" where food, water, and shelter is readily accessible to them. Some animals regularly traverse great distances daily, while others never travel more than a few feet. So, the point I'm trying to make is, animals only really NEED a certain amount of space that they have adapted to. This is why you don't see Ts kept in room-sized enclosures.

BTW, not trying to start any arguments here, just making a point. :)

Bry

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I think in my opinion a 10 gallon would seem substantial for 2 Avics. a 10 Gallon is pretty big not huge but good size. I have a 6" trinidad chevron in a 10 gallon all to herself and it is pretty much a waste of space. She uses about half of it and usually only about 5% of it which is the corner she sits in all day and all night most of the time. As somone else said but some fake plastic plants in the tank and they will most likely use them. I have a log and fake plant in most of my tanks and most have chosen the fake plant to build on. Usually a T finds a home and then tends to stay there most of the time. BUT... I have never done what you are thinking of doing but this is my opinion.

hope it works out for u

peace

TheDon

sstrong

Arachnopeon
The tank is all set up....

Skadiwolf was nice enough to start this thread per my inquiry so I thought I'd drop my two cents in! I've decided to give it a go and see if I can't have a small colony live happily together.

I have tank set up and I've gotten the environmental conditions pretty close to ideal (75 degrees and 65% humidity)... so now I just have to get my occupants!

I plan to set up a webcam to let the world keep an eye on them with me... so hopefully soon, I'll have a link and some pictures for everybody in the next week or so.

Thanks again Skadiwolf :D

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hey, just trying my best to help out, glad to see you on the forums! there are lots of people with good experience here so the best of luck to you!

it's a venture i was considering anyway, so we can both share from the benefits of mutual knowledge.

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: The tank is all set up....

Originally posted by sstrong

I plan to set up a webcam to let the world keep an eye on them with me... so hopefully soon, I'll have a link and some pictures for everybody in the next week or so.

Thanks again Skadiwolf :D
The Incredible SpiderCam

or

Battle-Spiders Galactica