Common Striped Woodlouse (Philoscia muscorum)

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
I collected about 100 Common Striped Woodlice from a park in New Jersey a little over 3 weeks ago. I can’t find much information on their care and can’t find anyone breeding them. I don't see them for sale anywhere online and not even a single color morph for available.

Another thing I noticed is that they are not one of the 14 species on Mantis Manageries list. (If you don't know what I am talking about, click this link; https://themantismenagerie.com/usda/arthropoda/malacostraca/ ) Does this mean I need a containment facility in order to keep them?

Back to the first paragraph, why does know one sell this species? Why no color morphs? Is there something about this species I am unaware of?

On a side note, I think they are beautiful.
BDB95639-9622-479F-BA5B-74BA0B8052B4.jpeg

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I can answer your containment facility question but cannot speak to why they are not more widespread in the isopod trade. To address legality, it is important to note the following: firstly, this a naturalized, non-native species which, secondly, you collected in state. While you would need a permit and containment facility to receive these from out of state or sell them out of state, because you collected them in state you DO NOT need either a permit or facility to possess in state specimens. This example highlights just how confusing isopod law can be at times but, it is good news for you.

This is definitely a beautiful species, and it would be nice to see it more available. In terms of reasons why it is not, the only ones I can think of is that it is slightly less widespread than other species, but its range is still nowhere near small enough to explain its lack of availability. It's a pity, as they are gorgeous.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
They are very common in backyards so people to not really sell them because they are not exotic. There are no color morphs because people do not really breed them in captivity.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Granted, Philoscia muscorum may be a common backyard species, but so are Oniscus asellus, Porcellio scaber, even the gray form of Porcellio laevis. Their commonality doesn't really explain their lack of sellers in the hobby.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
True. I want to get P. Laves wild type but can’t find any some species or morphs just aren’t sold

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
True. I want to get P. Laves wild type but can’t find any some species or morphs just aren’t sold
Smug bug has some P. Laevis wild type for sale. Warning, that species breed livery fast!

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I've kept these and will try to cover the basics. Mostly, they're kept a lot like other woodlice, though they don't dig around as much and seem to appreciate a drier place to hide. That basically means setting up some wood where they can hide inside/underneath, but not be touching the soil.

They're not very protein-hungry and are less interested in things that aren't dead leaves than other woodlice I've kept, though will eat a bit.

They only breed once in their lifecycle. This will be after one or two years, depending. In the wild, this would mean breeding during the warmer part of the year with adults dying off in autumn and early winter. Now is a good time to collect them, as you can get the adults established before breeding time. In captivity where it's always warm, they don't always stick to the same schedule, but you should still expect adult die-offs after successful breeding.

Wild populations have many colours and they all live together. I don't know if the US has all the colours, but over here I find various shades of yellow, orange and red with the brown ones (which come in light and dark).

I've seen people say they've had problems keeping them, though I suspect some of that is not understanding their lifecycle.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
I've kept these and will try to cover the basics. Mostly, they're kept a lot like other woodlice, though they don't dig around as much and seem to appreciate a drier place to hide. That basically means setting up some wood where they can hide inside/underneath, but not be touching the soil.

They're not very protein-hungry and are less interested in things that aren't dead leaves than other woodlice I've kept, though will eat a bit.

They only breed once in their lifecycle. This will be after one or two years, depending. In the wild, this would mean breeding during the warmer part of the year with adults dying off in autumn and early winter. Now is a good time to collect them, as you can get the adults established before breeding time. In captivity where it's always warm, they don't always stick to the same schedule, but you should still expect adult die-offs after successful breeding.

Wild populations have many colours and they all live together. I don't know if the US has all the colours, but over here I find various shades of yellow, orange and red with the brown ones (which come in light and dark).

I've seen people say they've had problems keeping them, though I suspect some of that is not understanding their lifecycle.
Thank you for the information! Didn’t know this species had a life cycle.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I have the dairy cow and caramel variation but for some reason the morphs are mostly cheaper than the wild types

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Can caramel P. Laevis go back to wild type? Some of mine are darker than when I started the culture