Common spiders appreciation thread

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
There's tons of focus on cute jumping spiders,or menacing looking wolf spiders,brown recluses,etc. Lets appreciate some species that are very common to find around!
Today i found a Araneus diadematus (Cross/Crusader spider) chilling among my plastic plants :) (DLS about 1.5cm) S/he is released back outside.
Nowadays i have tons of crusader spiders spinning their webs around my backyard,and atleast once a day i have to accidentally web my face up when i walk through one. But i love the way they look.

Araneus diadematus by Sinisa Niksic, on Flickr

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Let's talk about Pholcidae!
Cellar spiders are my favorite.
I do everything I can to encourage their presence.
There are, maybe, a hundred in my basement and that is just how I like it!

Attachments

Last edited:

vicareux

Oh yeah! I've found one who apparently spent all its life at one exact spot.(look at the number of molts on that web). S/he really decorated up its corner :)
IMG_1835.JPG

Cororon

Arachnoknight
Yeah, common spiders are awesome! It's always fun to find "new" species, but the "everyday" ones feel like old friends. :) Can't have enough of them!

Moulted skin used to scare me back when I was an arachnophobe. They looked like "ghosts". :happy:

Here's a Crabby:

vicareux

Yeah, common spiders are awesome! It's always fun to find "new" species, but the "everyday" ones feel like old friends. :) Can't have enough of them!

Moulted skin used to scare me back when I was an arachnophobe. They looked like "ghosts". :happy:

Here's a Crabby:
I like to imagine that those tiny two eyes are nostrils :) very cute!

Husbandry must be on point!
Yeah,i made sure that i provided enough substrate and a water dish!
Now i have a question,do you provide 100 separate water dishes for your basement spiders or one big water dish? :D

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Yeah,i made sure that i provided enough substrate and a water dish!
Now i have a question,do you provide 100 separate water dishes for your basement spiders or one big water dish? :D
There is water down there if they need it. Lol

Cororon

Arachnoknight
I like to imagine that those tiny two eyes are nostrils :) very cute!
Same. Their faces look a bit like a buck-toothed frog's. :frog: :happy: They can move those tiny eyes to look around just like jumping spiders can with their big eyes. Crab spiders make good models, because they don't move around much.

Baphijmm

Arachnopeon
Found this gorgeous Hogna carolinensis male on the outside of my house the other night. It's that time of year; around here, these guys are pretty common, if you know where to look. (And they get BIG.)

2020-07-20 21.55.57.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Unfortunately, with the county constantly spraying for mosquitoes, I am finding very few orbweavers, but at least I still have plenty of these around.

southern house spider (Kukulcania hibernalis)

spitting spider (Scytodes longipes)

common house spider (Parasteatoda tepidariorum)

The one on the left lived in my roach bin for several months and would poach a roach every week.

jumping spider (Phidippus otiosus)

wolf spider (Hogna lenta)

wolf spider (Schizocosa ocreata)

whitebanded fishing spider (Dolomedes albineus)

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Found this gorgeous Hogna carolinensis male on the outside of my house the other night. It's that time of year; around here, these guys are pretty common, if you know where to look. (And they get BIG.)

View attachment 353857
I wish these were more common in the hobby. It seems like their range spreads through the entire country, but they’re really hard to find in some places. This is one of my favorite species!

Baphijmm

Arachnopeon
I wish these were more common in the hobby. It seems like their range spreads through the entire country, but they’re really hard to find in some places. This is one of my favorite species!
Had a big girl living in my front yard a few years ago, burrow about as big around as an American half-dollar. The few times I got to see her, she was HUGE.

EDIT: Aha! I knew I had some pictures of her around here somewhere. Managed to catch her in the act.

MVC-001F.JPG
MVC-002B.JPG

Last edited:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
My apartment is home to about a million Steatoda, but the buggers like to avoid being photographed. I also get a fair few jumpers, usually zebras but occasionally other species. They've split the apartment. Jumpers get the bathroom, Steatoda get everything else. Seems a bit greedy of them. 6FD49114-DFB3-4A31-925C-095B631B4A8E.JPEG 203CD205-D5C1-4096-8E5C-E505C84EE581.JPEG

vicareux

While cleaning up my PC files,found this photo of a random Pholcidae that i took back somewhere in January 2019,wrapping up her/his food. Thought i'd share!
Common.jpg