Common Names??

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi everyone.

I was in my pet store and i saw the most beautiful tarantula ever. It was jet black and had some reddish markings on its legs only and there were just a few. They called it a "Chiconi Birdeater" and could not provide me with a scientific name. It was 4-4.5 inches and they wanted 69.95$ CDN for it. It webbed a fair amount. There also was a "Chaco Mousey Brown Tarantula" that sorta looked like a chaco golden knee (my guess of what it is), it was 3 inches or so and was only 49.95$ CDN. Anyways, have any of you heard of these names before and can confirm a scientific name for me?

thanks in advance!

Mark

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Mark,
I never heard of anything close to what a Chiconi Birdeater might be, so sorry can't help you there.
But, the Chaco Mouse Brown is most likely Acanthoscurria insubtillis.
john

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It was Chaconi or Chacone or something that would probabaly be pronounced Cha-cone-nee.

Mark

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
Hi everyone.

I was in my pet store and i saw the most beautiful tarantula ever. It was jet black and had some reddish markings on its legs only and there were just a few. They called it a "Chiconi Birdeater" and could not provide me with a scientific name. It was 4-4.5 inches and they wanted 69.95$ CDN for it. It webbed a fair amount. There also was a "Chaco Mousey Brown Tarantula" that sorta looked like a chaco golden knee (my guess of what it is), it was 3 inches or so and was only 49.95$ CDN. Anyways, have any of you heard of these names before and can confirm a scientific name for me?

thanks in advance!

Mark
This is just a wild shot in the dark, but here it goes.

Could it be Aphonopelma chalcodes?

Chiconi --> Chaconi --> Chacone --> chalcodes?
I don't know. Anyways, here's a link to a picture of one on Rick West's site. I can't really notice any red leg markings, though.

http://birdspiders.com/archive/1/0051.htm

:? BD:?

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nope it was for sure not chacolades. It was jet black with reddish, purpleish sort of streaks on some of its legs. It looked absolutely stunning.

Mark

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No it was not an irmina. It appeared to be terrestrial, and webbed up the ground. perhaps i am throwing people off with the leg markings bit. It had very few leg markings and i cannot remember the exact color but red/orangey is in my mind. It was JET BLACK everywhere else, and i have never seen this species before. It looked amazing but i could not spend 70$ on something i did not know what it was.

Mark

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Common names

No it was not an irmina. Mark
Hi,
Many of these strange common names come direct from the supplier, in this case it's labelled birdeater, something that is used as a common for most Asian old worlders (along with earth tiger). Also, the fact that there's a lot of webbing would also lean toward old world T. Can't think of anything from Africa matching those colors. Gotta be from the Asian region. Can you describe the coloration a little better? Any noticable features other then the color?

Cheers,
Steve

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If it is not already sold i am going back there to take a pic of it. If i dont buy it this will at least satisfy my growing curiosity

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Common Names

If it is not already sold i am going back there to take a pic of it. If i dont buy it this will at least satisfy my growing curiosity
Cool, now I'm curious. It's quite pricey, has to be something of interest.

Cheers,
Steve

Lantang

Arachnopeon
Could you tell if there was urticating hairs on the abodomen, wit a lare stocky tarantula(heavy bodied,long setae on the abdoman, with most S.A.'s), or did it look like an asian(short abodomen hair,slender).