Common name confusion...

Prangus

Arachnopeon
I generally lurk here but I have questions my books don't answer...
I bought an "African Giant Black" millipede from a petstore, but they only had one. I'd like to get a few more to try breeding but I've found both "Archispirostreptus gigas" and "Lulus sp." listed as GAB. How do I know which mine is?

Also, I've read up on sexing but it's only about 8" long and I've read that at least some species can get bigger. How early do the males look like males? And can females lay eggs before they're full grown?

Just one more. How many adults can you keep in what size container, like a 10 gallon or 20 gallon aquarium? All I've read is the twice as long and once as wide rule. That doesn't tell me how many.

Thanks in advance to anyonw who can lend me some advice, or even just an opinion. -Prangus

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The impression I've gotten from reading a number of lists is that Lulus is an old, incorrect name for Archispirostreptus. In any case, A. gigas is the most common big black pede in the trade, so chances are that's what you have.

Males can be recognized from pretty early one (look for a missing set of legs at the 7th segment) I'm not sure if this can be seen at hatching.

In a 20 long tank, I'd say you could keep maybe 10, probably more. IME they grow faster if kept in smaller groups, however.

Wade

Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey,
for what i know "Lulus" species are species with a red head and red foot with black body from Togho (Africa)

Archispirostreptus are more commonly sold and are a lot bigger then Lulus species, they from Tanzania, Kongho, Ghana, entz....

greetz

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lulus sp.

I've heard Lulus sp. referred to as Giant Black millipedes, and Archispirostreptus gigas referred to as African Giant Black millipedes. I believe there are several genera of millipedes from Africa that are big and black. It is possible many of the ones sold as A. gigas are actually not even in the Archispirostreptus genus. Millipede keeping is in its infancy, hard to talk intelligently about their care when we can't identify them to species! This is part of the charm of the hobby in my opinion. No mystery in keeping a goldfish. Less fun actually knowing what you're doing...;)