Comments on enclosure from adult GBB owners

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I read through some threads on GBBs and enclosures as I am getting a 5" female on Wednesday. Here's a setup I have waiting in a 5.5g tank. There will be a water dish and a velcro secured wire lid. I put in a 1/2 plastic flower pot for a hide and a dead (baked) stick for webbing attachment. Please comment - Thanks.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would suggest securing the stick a little better; you should probably add more substrate anyway, I'd say 8" from dirt to ceiling, max, if it isn't already. Bury the bottom points of the stick so that it doesn't wobble much, you know? Don't want it falling down.

Don't bother with the water dish, it'll be webbed up and disappear once she gets going. I gave up refilling my girl's bottlecap months ago, except for when I dump crickets in--they drink water out of the (webbed up) cap in the few minutes before it dries up due to silk strands, and she eats them while they are full of water.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree about the stick and the substrate. I would put more substrate in there to prevent her from falling and injuring herself. Also be sure to make the stick really secure because i've had my female pull her stick over from her web being strong. About the water deal you are going to get alot of different opinions on this but it's all on how "your" spider takes to it. I've talked to people who have owned them for years and never seen them drink but mine, when I fill her bowl up on every saturday she's like clockwork and comes out within an hour for a drink. My opinion is give her a dish because you would rather her need it and have it other that not. Other than that enjoy and be prepared for an abundance of webbing. Congrats, Trey

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Both of mine pretty much webbed over everything, though with something as big as a 5.5gal tank that probably won't happen. IMHO they would do fine in an empty enclosure, any ornamentation other than may be a couple thin anchoring objects is just for you, not the T. The branch is fine, I'd put it near the center so the T can use it to tent over, no need to secure it, a GBB will do that quite well. I've tried providing hides and that's a waste of space 'cause they just webb over those too. GBB's have very low humidity requirements and are semi arboreal, so substrate serves no purpose other than as an anchor point for webbing. Unless the 'substrate' is a very solid substance (I use flat rocks), it just gets picked up by the webbing, looks like a mess and creates a space underneath the web hammock where prey items can hide. I think even the plain enclosure surface is better than loose substrate as it is at least a solid anchoring point. Mine would both drink from a water dish but it is a constant battle to keep it from getting webbed.
In conclusion, I think the term 'webbed over' pretty much sums up the primary design consideration, you can do whatever you want with any unused excess space. Just my experience, I'm sure others have seen different...

Bill

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ya know...That's funny cause I hear alot of people saying that theirs will web over the water dish but mine doesn't. Only thing I see is a few thin strands where she has walked over it. I think it's just the individual spider because my girl ( who has been eating her boyfriend for about 24 hours ) uses her hide alot but it is webbed over though.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They also seem to enjoy artificial plants that they can web to.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would add some fake plants to web to, everything looks fine. You do not need more substrate as was stated since they are semi-arboreal. They tend to web everything over and build their own home out of webbing. They really don't need much moisture at all, maybe once a week or even month. Most of their moisture will come from their prey items as long as you make sure they are well hydrated. I have raised them without any water dish even. Here is what my adult male has done with a 5.5 gallon. How do you like his Fang Shui?

and a smaller KK with sort of a hammock style, this one webbed over everything and created like a platform where it sits

and this one created like a tunnel system

So the moral of the story, no matter what you put they will create their own home out of webbing. All your stuff will do is create structures to attatch webbing to.

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is quite an interesting thread for me, I bought a Sub Adult GBB a while ago and she has completely webbed over the water dish. If I actually dont need one in thats great.

This was when she first went in.

And although I havent got a full pic you can see how much she has webbed over. Its REALLY impressive.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The easiest way with these are to offer a water dish once a week or so and then take it back out in a day. Beautiful young lady by the way.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think I'll try this setup.

I would add some fake plants to web to, everything looks fine. You do not need more substrate as was stated since they are semi-arboreal. They tend to web everything over and build their own home out of webbing. They really don't need much moisture at all, maybe once a week or even month. Most of their moisture will come from their prey items as long as you make sure they are well hydrated. I have raised them without any water dish even. Here is what my adult male has done with a 5.5 gallon. How do you like his Fang Shui?