Comfirming sex on H. spinifer pair!

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
So as some may have seen, I got some H. spinifer from a show this sunday. I bought them as a 1.1 pair and wanted to see if anyone could confirm this and possibly tell me which one is the male and which is the female (although I can't really distinguish them IRL...) They have no names yet so:

"Angry1"

"Angry2"

Thanks a lot!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The photos really aren't clear enough to determine the sex of either specimen. Also, neither one is a Heterometrus spinifer. They appear to be either H. petersii or H. laoticus, however clear pictures of the carapace and chela would be necessary for proper identification.

Crowbi

Arachnopeon
The photos really aren't clear enough to determine the sex of either specimen. Also, neither one is a Heterometrus spinifer. They appear to be either H. petersii or H. laoticus, however clear pictures of the carapace and chela would be necessary for proper identification.
/
Bought it from a breeder at a show and he doesn't sell either of these species. :/ Either way, how can you tell the difference? I'll try to get better pictures, though.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
99% of scorpions sold as H. spinifer are actually either H. petersii or H. laoticus. Simply because a breeder claims that he's breeding and selling a particular species, doesn't make mean that the specimens are correctly identified. ;-)

H. petersii and H. laoticus have dark telsons, rounder chela, and dorsal keels on the 5th metasomal segment that consist of relatively minute granules, while H. spinifer usually have telsons that are lighter than their metasomas (usually red in adults), narrower chela, and dorsal keels on the 5th metasomal segment that consist of relatively large, pointed granules. H. petersii and H. laoticus can be distinguished from each other in that H. petersii has granulation on the carapace and tergites while H. laoticus is totally devoid of any granulation, and H. petersii shows sexual dimorphism in that males have an enlarged tooth on the movable finger of the chela.