Colour variants of Pterinochilus murinus by locality

SimonParlow

Arachnopeon
Nice to see that you put this topic online.
Pterinochilus Murinus is a very nice example to show how Bio diversity is taking place through locality types of one species on genus level and how this creates so called "color forms"
I have been keen on DCF locality types since the first T I got myself like one and a half year ago, which was a Pterinochilus Murinus RCF.
I finally got myself some recently.
My breeding stock for the future is now including:
5.5.5 of Pterinochilus Murinus DCF from Botswana/Zimbabwe area. The biggest females are subadult, so next year's going to be my year :D finally. I hope for some successfull saccs then! Will post some pictures later this day or maybe around next year, as far as they are mature.
Apart from that I got myself a bunch of DCF located in Kigoma. Beauties! But only L3 to 4 so far.
And what I added to the group only couple days ago is a group of 2.1 Pterinochilus Murinus DCF from Mikumi NP, Tanzania. I was very lucky to get some and got a really decent price also. The males are unfortunately only semi so far and the female will arrive safe and healthy by tomorrow hopefully. Her owner put up this picture of her, before I bought her. She's stunning, take a look!
FB_IMG_1512738766053.jpg

I am all in all pretty excited what more locality types of the different color forms will show up and appear in the hobby in the future. Mostly it's the DCF complex that is interesting for me. If everything works out well, I'll have some Slings by 2018 of DCF parents that come from the northern parts of Mozambique. They look pretty much the same as the ones located in zimbabwe/botswana, but seem to be a little brighter in their black body coloration and have some intense and shiney silver on the carapace, way more shiny than the "real" ones from botswana/Zimbabwe (once determined and labeled as P. Leetzi I think, which then developed to only a Color Form of P. Murinus, as genital morphology says they are all the same, just differently looking due to the natural circumstances the specific location of every single appearance is offering to live along)
I might be able to put some pictures online, as those DCF from northern Mozambique will pop up in the hobby the first time, as far as I know, but I'm also only it for something like one and a half year.
I got also told of a pretty nice and also a little bit different looking DCF appearing in SA. They actually came from Botswana/Zimbabwe border area once and made their way to SA through a river running dry once a year and separating these three countries. Maybe I could get some more information on those ones. But all in all, seems like DCF are coming back! :D

MWA1995

Arachnopeon
This species is amazing. That's why i love baboon.
But, in my country only RCF in market, i hope can collect another color form :angelic:

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
:O That Zimbabwe <3 <3 <3 I never thought I'd want another baboon until now.

@KezyGLA thank you for bringing this thread back :D I had no idea the other forms even existed outside the TCF and RCF.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wish they would become cheaper more available. I can only dream of affording them . Very epic. Color schemes !!! A+:pics:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Very helpful thread. Thanks for sharing. This was very confusing to me for a long time now.

Don't know how I missed this when it was first posted..lol

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
There is often confusion when it comes to the orange variants of the Usambara region.

Here are a few photos that might help with this-

UMV - overall light orange (sometimes with lighter coloured carapace)
9B0886DD-DF22-488B-8891-28B40CBC9640.jpeg

RCF - deeper orange, solid in colour (even well into moult cycle).

On eggsac

E0C6024B-0DA4-423F-8261-8C46ABF853C0.jpeg

Fresh moult
FBA0B048-3EDA-4542-8D89-3E7C384D3279.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Mine is really small like some bloodline of obt are tiny ? It seems like 4”, won’t let me. Measure it

SteveL

Arachnopeon
Nice to see that you put this topic online.
Pterinochilus Murinus is a very nice example to show how Bio diversity is taking place through locality types of one species on genus level and how this creates so called "color forms"
I have been keen on DCF locality types since the first T I got myself like one and a half year ago, which was a Pterinochilus Murinus RCF.
I finally got myself some recently.
My breeding stock for the future is now including:
5.5.5 of Pterinochilus Murinus DCF from Botswana/Zimbabwe area. The biggest females are subadult, so next year's going to be my year :D finally. I hope for some successfull saccs then! Will post some pictures later this day or maybe around next year, as far as they are mature.
Apart from that I got myself a bunch of DCF located in Kigoma. Beauties! But only L3 to 4 so far.
And what I added to the group only couple days ago is a group of 2.1 Pterinochilus Murinus DCF from Mikumi NP, Tanzania. I was very lucky to get some and got a really decent price also. The males are unfortunately only semi so far and the female will arrive safe and healthy by tomorrow hopefully. Her owner put up this picture of her, before I bought her. She's stunning, take a look!
View attachment 260304

I am all in all pretty excited what more locality types of the different color forms will show up and appear in the hobby in the future. Mostly it's the DCF complex that is interesting for me. If everything works out well, I'll have some Slings by 2018 of DCF parents that come from the northern parts of Mozambique. They look pretty much the same as the ones located in zimbabwe/botswana, but seem to be a little brighter in their black body coloration and have some intense and shiney silver on the carapace, way more shiny than the "real" ones from botswana/Zimbabwe (once determined and labeled as P. Leetzi I think, which then developed to only a Color Form of P. Murinus, as genital morphology says they are all the same, just differently looking due to the natural circumstances the specific location of every single appearance is offering to live along)
I might be able to put some pictures online, as those DCF from northern Mozambique will pop up in the hobby the first time, as far as I know, but I'm also only it for something like one and a half year.
I got also told of a pretty nice and also a little bit different looking DCF appearing in SA. They actually came from Botswana/Zimbabwe border area once and made their way to SA through a river running dry once a year and separating these three countries. Maybe I could get some more information on those ones. But all in all, seems like DCF are coming back! :D
Can you tell what form this 1/2" sling is?

Attachments

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Nice thread dissecting all this information, definitely a lot going on with the variants in the species.

Gocus489

Arachnopeon
So I have a question I finaly found some slings 9 months later, I got 3 but.... Breeder doesn't know what dcf form they are I'm assuming wait till they get big and then compare pictures of other dcf

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
I wanted to start a thread to share the different variants of this amazing species that covers such a vast area.

A lot of people see the following TCF, DCF, BCF, OCF, RCF etc following P. murinus. Here is what they stand for-

BCF - Brown Colour Form
DCF - Dark Colour Form
OCF - Orange Colour Form
RCF - Red Colour Form
TCF - Typical Colour Form
UMV- Usambara Mountains Variant

Many folks are probably under the impression that there is only one variant of each form. But there are multiple for some.

Here are some localities to some of the variants -

BCF - Tete, Mozambique
DCF - Botswana/Zimbabwe, Kenya, Kigoma, Mikumi
OCF - Usambara Mountains Region
RCF - Usambara Mountains Region
TCF - Kenya, Mozambique
UMV - Usambara Mountains Region

Each locality seems to have differences, even if very subtle.

There are also some hobby forms that will fall under TCF and 'Classic'

Here are some photos I can share to show a few. I will add better photos to this thread when I can. Hopefully I will be able to share them all here. In the mean time, if anyone has pictures of adult female specimens that they can share along with variant and locality it would be great :)

Kigoma, Tanzania DCF View attachment 259603

Usambara Mountains Region UMV
View attachment 259604

Kenya DCF
View attachment 259605

Tete, Mozambique BCF
View attachment 259606

Mozambique TCF
View attachment 259608

Hobby TCF
View attachment 259609

Classic/TCF
View attachment 259610

Zimbabwe DCF
View attachment 259602
(Photo posted with permission from Brian Ashby. Mine are still specks)
Hey man, how are you?

Awesome pics always and very informative thread.

I have this doubt for years, hope you (or others) know more about this.

In this link http://www.theraphosidae.be/en/pterinochilus-murinus/ there's a color variation called SCF (Silver Color Form), however, this link is kinda old and I've never seen or heard anything about these specimens, other then in this link.

Do you have more info about it?

Thanks. :)