colossobolus sp

nilo

Arachnopeon
I have a millipede i am pretty sure she is colossobolus giganteus. But i am a bit worried about her because suddenly she has white patches all over her my first thought are it is some kind of fungal infection. Here she is:

[ATTACH

I am treating her with canesten 1percent she seems to be getting more active but she is not loosing the white patches

Attachments

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I've only seen something like that a few times in captive bred specimens as they reach the end of life. It wasn't so much a disease as a sign of impending death.

nilo

Arachnopeon
because with my millipede it is all over its body and the millipede is starting to slow down

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I've seen this on a few different species when the adults get old. They lived four months to a year afterwards. I didn't mean they died right away but it never shows up on young ones.

Marika

Arachnoangel
I have a millipede i am pretty sure she is colossobolus giganteus. But i am a bit worried about her because suddenly she has white patches all over her my first thought are it is some kind of fungal infection. Here she is:

[ATTACH

I am treating her with canesten 1percent she seems to be getting more active but she is not loosing the white patches
How is your millipede doing, has the treatment worked?

nilo

Arachnopeon
No sadly, she passed away three days ago one of her segments was totally yellow a bit white and it was very soft in the middle of her body I went to a reptile vet to see if I could do anything about it but sadly he had no idea on what to do :(:(

nilo

Arachnopeon
but for other people who have this fungus infection I would like to carry on this thread to try and find a way to cure this infection

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I started another thread because I didn't see this one. My WC A gigas has (had) white spots on about her last 5 segments. I painted 1% clotrimazole on lightly, just the affected area. the next morning, the white was almost gone, just a bit of "texture" where it was. I will continue to treat every 3 days for 3 treatments and see what happens. She is active and eating. I read in Sigling's book that it is very contagious. So far I am not going to separate them because I am not sure I agree with that. I think it is an age indicator; like Orin stated. BTW the clotrimazole is also used for athlete's food, et al. My intent is to slow it down and keep her comfortable.

Marika

Arachnoangel
I started another thread because I didn't see this one. My WC A gigas has (had) white spots on about her last 5 segments. I painted 1% clotrimazole on lightly, just the affected area. the next morning, the white was almost gone, just a bit of "texture" where it was. I will continue to treat every 3 days for 3 treatments and see what happens. She is active and eating. I read in Sigling's book that it is very contagious. So far I am not going to separate them because I am not sure I agree with that. I think it is an age indicator; like Orin stated. BTW the clotrimazole is also used for athlete's food, et al. My intent is to slow it down and keep her comfortable.
How is she doing?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Great! I treated as I said; every 3 days for 3 treatments. A little came back the 2nd week in December so I treated again; same sequence. Right now I don't see anything on her and it never spread to the others. I look at her every day. They are eating, mating, etc. business as usual.

I used a small paintbrush and painted from the telson (butt) toward the front so it would get between her segments. I used the cream quite sparingly. So far so good!

TwoJays

Arachnopeon
Great! I treated as I said; every 3 days for 3 treatments. A little came back the 2nd week in December so I treated again; same sequence. Right now I don't see anything on her and it never spread to the others. I look at her every day. They are eating, mating, etc. business as usual.

I used a small paintbrush and painted from the telson (butt) toward the front so it would get between her segments. I used the cream quite sparingly. So far so good!
Bit late to this party 🎉 I know
But HOW did you come this genius idea?
Did you just figure 'what's the worst that can happen?' cause the pede was sickly anyway?
When I first came across mentions of fungal infection on millipede, I was like.... What how do you treat that?!!? Thinking like..... very mild Green tea soak maybe? Or like..... No clue. Again. Just genius.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Old thread but man is it wild to see a discussion of Colossobolus sp. I would give an arm to be able to keep anything in that genus.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Old thread but man is it wild to see a discussion of Colossobolus sp. I would give an arm to be able to keep anything in that genus.
Really not alllll that long ago either But both the OP and Marika are in Europe/UK! US is a little different than over there :/