Colorado tarantula "migration"

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I’m currently in La Junta, CO trying to see the annual tarantula “migration”. I went out tonight at dusk but saw absolutely zero tarantulas. Does anyone know anything about this event and if I’m missing something or are they just not migrating this year?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’m currently in La Junta, CO trying to see the annual tarantula “migration”. I went out tonight at dusk but saw absolutely zero tarantulas. Does anyone know anything about this event and if I’m missing something or are they just not migrating this year?
Pretty sure you missed it. Thought it only happens in August.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
not so much of a migration rather than mature males out looking for females and it is annual. You are in the right place at the right time. (stolen from an article) One of the best places to see these tarantulas is at Comanche National Grassland near La Junta, Colorado. This is located in southeast Colorado, so expect a mid-September peak. Two more great spots to see this natural phenomenon include just north of Ordway on Highway 71 and between La Junta and Kim on Highway 109, according to the La Junta Tribune-Democrat. HTH

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
not so much of a migration rather than mature males out looking for females and it is annual. You are in the right place at the right time. (stolen from an article) One of the best places to see these tarantulas is at Comanche National Grassland near La Junta, Colorado. This is located in southeast Colorado, so expect a mid-September peak. Two more great spots to see this natural phenomenon include just north of Ordway on Highway 71 and between La Junta and Kim on Highway 109, according to the La Junta Tribune-Democrat. HTH
Well, I was only there for a few days. Didn't see a single tarantula or anything I could positively ID as a tarantula burrow. Lots of wolf spiders and funnel webs.