Colorado? Aphonopelma hentzi?

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard people refer to finding "tarantulas" here in Colorado. Has anyone here actually encountered (what seems likely to be A hentzi) in CO? I imagine it would be the FAR southern parts if at all. I live way up North by Wyoming but find myself down south on occasion. If there is something worth looking for I might give it a shot.

Anyone have any luck? I find conflicting reports of whether or not we do indeed have them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If someone doesn't know for sure. It would serve you best to contact Drs. Chris Hamilton and Jason Bond, they wrote a fantastic revision on this genus, and spent about 10 years I believe collecting various species all across the USA for their excellent paper.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Yes, Colorado has Aphonopelma hentzi. I received a molt from from someone who collected one from that state and I was able to confirm the species. You're right though in that they are restricted to the southern-most region of the state, but I can't remember of the top of my head what their exact range is. The only species that exist in Colorado are A. hentzi and A. marxi.

Estein

Arachnoknight
If someone doesn't know for sure. It would serve you best to contact Drs. Chris Hamilton and Jason Bond, they wrote a fantastic revision on this genus, and spent about 10 years I believe collecting various species all across the USA for their excellent paper.
The paper viper69 is referencing is called "Taxonomic revision of the tarantula genus Aphonopelma Pocock, 1901 (Araneae, Mygalomorphae, Theraphosidae) within the United States" and is available as a free PDF online. Hamilton et.al. list A. hentzi as being found in Bent, Crowley, Fremont, Otero, Prowers, and Pueblo Counties in CO. The paper also lists the coordinates where each specimen was found if you want to get really specific. Happy hunting!

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks everyone! That is good news! Hopefully next time I'm down that way I'll have some free time so I can go poke around for a little.