color me stupid but why are redknees so expensive?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
are they just hard to breed or something? i would think from their attractive coloration and docile temperment they would be a more sought after T, making them more available. are they hard to breed or something?

LAking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good point. I would love to get a red knee some day, but right now i can't afford their high price. You would think that a T so beautiful, generally docile, and popular would be much more available.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are considered endangered in some areas. For example I am not allowed to bring it across the boarder (I live in Canada). Also they have EXTREMELY long lifespans and are colorful, yet very docile making them an ideal pet. They are very sought after also which raises the price.

Mark

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
would the growth rate be a factor? alos, since it is a sought after T, do dealers/sellers jack up the prices knowing that people will pay for the t?

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
It might have aomething to do with it being listed on the CITES list and that Mexico closed it's borders for exporting. All these spiders now are captive bred and they don't grow nearly as fast as B.albopilosum or vagans. A female might live past 25 years... Plus, they are attractive and mostly docile. They are well worth the money and the itchiness. :cool:

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is the law of supply and demand with a bit of CITES thrown in. With all the hobbyists turning towards breeding programs, myself included, I think you'll see prices fluctuate with market availability. Who knows how long that will take though.

Botar

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what it is is that they are captive bred and sold usually around 1.5 to two inches, that means that someone has to care for them for at least two or three months. and that will allways jack up the price. plus they are very attractive and docile. and they are not that expensive really. I just got one for 35 dollars. what are you guys getting them for.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
$35!?

The shops that even get them in around here sell them from about $60-$75 for a 1-2 inch sling.

Risto

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I`m not sure why they do cost so much but my local pet store does`nt sell them any more. But seriously the owner of the store does`nt know didly squat she keeps little 2 inch stripe knees in 10 gal aquariums is that much space neccecary? She said it makes them feel free!? She is so full of it!

BYE,

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by Static_69
$35!?

The shops that even get them in around here sell them from about $60-$75 for a 1-2 inch sling.

Risto
Pet shops tend to inflate the prices. You are probably better off to buy online. The online dealers know more about what they have and they take care of them because most of them are enthusiasts who have collections of their own. :)

Wysi

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Originally posted by spider
I`m not sure why they do cost so much but my local pet store does`nt sell them any more. But seriously the owner of the store does`nt know didly squat she keeps little 2 inch stripe knees in 10 gal aquariums is that much space neccecary? She said it makes them feel free!? She is so full of it!
She shouldn't be keeping them together in the 1st place, but maybe they'll be ok and someone will buy one before one becomes dinner. As for tank size, might be the only reason both are still there... I think that a 10gal is a bit much for a single adult even. A grown one would be perfectly "free" and happy in a 5 or smaller tank. I know they look better in a bigger tank, maybe with a foamarium and all, but they are still pretty much of a pet rock under most conditions. Needless to say a very attractive "rock" though

As for prices, I've never seen even a G.rosea in a petshop here though one place would order me one. I gotten mine through the internet and you can check the arachnodealers here for the prices... I think though a ½" sling normally runs around $20

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendi
She shouldn't be keeping them together in the 1st place, but maybe they'll be ok and someone will buy one before one becomes dinner. As for tank size, might be the only reason both are still there... I think that a 10gal is a bit much for a single adult even. A grown one would be perfectly "free" and happy in a 5 or smaller tank. I know they look better in a bigger tank, maybe with a foamarium and all, but they are still pretty much of a pet rock under most conditions. Needless to say a very attractive "rock" though
Hi Mendi! :)

I disagree with you here on the 10 gallon being too big for an adult. I like to put my larger spiders (5 inches and up) in sweater boxes and aquariums. They tend to look too cramped in anything smaller than that. I just moved my geniculata out of her 5 gallon critter keeper because was just looking way too cramped. I like to have the set up so the spider has a nice little
hidey hole on one side and a water dish on the other side, with enough room to walk around a little if that's what they want to do (and yes, they do take advantage of it). :)

Wysi

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bargain B.smithi

This is Tom, my B.smithi.

Don't like to gloat usually, but I got him for £10 (about $15). He is about 4.5-5".

I can't believe the kind of prices you guys are talking about! $75 for a half inch sling?!?

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen 1" B. smithi around here for 70 - 130 dollars depending on the shop. The $130 was a ripoff set up that came with the spider, a 2.5 gallon tank, a bag of red sand, a 6 inch tall water bowl and a huge sea sponge. I'm always on the look out for the Petco with a red knee mislabeled as a Chilean rose :)

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
very slow growth...

what it is is that they are captive bred and sold usually around 1.5 to two inches, that means that someone has to care for them for at least two or three months.

Takes a lot longer than two to three months to get that kinda size on smithi. They are very slow growers.

Phil